Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A 4x4 Evolution Question.
Evo-king

My only experience of 4x4 cars has been two VW R32s.

Going back to when Audi first introduced the Quattro Coupe way back when, I seem to remember it promoted other manufacturers to start producing their own 4x4 i.e, Lancia Delta, Mitsubishi Evo, Subaru.

How does this Evoque differ in respect of the early 4x4s?

Is there a subtle difference between pure off road vehicles and the Evoque?

I'm trying to understand if or how this technology has come on.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
11-01-2012 11:29pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
QueJumper

Chalk and cheese. Any tech has changed massively in 20 years so not sure what you're trying to ask?

4x4 is far more electronics and less mechanics now.

Evoque is definitely road biased but not as much as say an X3 or Q5.

Now Sold - Small, clean, fun car mainly for me - Sd4 Dynamic Lux - White/Black roof

Still going strong - Big, dirty, fun car mainly for the wife, kids and dog - Disco 4 - Blue (with lots of mud outside, sweets & litter inside)
12-01-2012 12:03am
Evo-king

RE: A 4x4 Evolution Question.

Thanks.

I'm no engineer, but wanted to know if like engines electronics are now part of the package for 4x4 systems.

Also wanted to confirm that it was in essence a more road biased product.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
12-01-2012 11:13am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

The TR selection of programs is so hitech it in effect remaps the car's systems to suit the terrain setting you select, HDC, ABS and TC are all utilised and if you have one of the bigger RR's or D3-4 then they work in both high and low ratio too. Clever electronically contolled diffs now send the power to the wheels with the most grip and brake those that are loosing it - little black boxes have taken away most of the mechanical bits that made 4x4 so heavy.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2012 06:18pm by XFullFatTim.)
12-01-2012 06:17pm
Evo-king

Thanks Tim.Thumbs Up

Although having driven it and done the LR Experience, I'd completely forgot about TR.

(This post was last modified: 12-01-2012 10:13pm by Evo-king.)
12-01-2012 10:12pm
QUATTROMAN

(12-01-2012 10:12pm)Evo-king Wrote:  Thanks Tim.Thumbs Up

Although having driven it and done the LR Experience, I'd completely forgot about TR.

Hi Evo-king ,
having owned various Audis -all quattro's ranging from the UR quattro (one of which I still have) the main differences in Technology is transfer of Torque.
The eary quattros had a permanent 50:50 split between front and rear axles (this is ok but can induce understeer on tight corners)
Audi then developed the 'Torsen' Diff with was positioned just after the gearbox (ie centre diff) This could sense the difference between the torque required to each axle and adjust upto (mechanically) to an approx 70:30 split to either front or rear axle.
It wasnt until Audi wanted to put 'quattro' drive into their smaller cars ie transverse engined A3 and TT that they developed (with Haldex) the electronicly controlled hydraulicaly operated rear diff. The electronics now sensing wheel slip or loss of torque and the hydraulics controlling the clutch in the rear Haldex diff to split the torque between axles.
The latest generation Haldex 'clutch / diff ' as fitted to Evoque & Freelander 2 is far more advance and able to act quicker and is now integrated to the cars ABS system therefore allowing the brakes to act as a diff lock not only to front and rear axles but diagonally front /rear there by giving the drive to the wheels that have grip and breaking the ones that don't.
As for offroad / onroad the electronics take care of all that now and unless you do extreme off road driving there is little use for a heavy cumbersome mechanical Hi /Low ratio transfer box weith mechanical diff locking.
On road the Evoque will behave like any Audi 'quattro' and to the point of if selecting 'sand mode' in TR and disengage the EPS you will be able to get the back end of the Evoque to step out and oversteer if you boot it around a wet roundabout ( I dont recommend doing this unless on private grounds- be ready to catch it before it breaks away completly as the repair bill will be expensive ..lol ) This in effect is the same as switching some of the 'RS' class quattros into sport mode and give a more rear wheel drive bias.

Hope that helps.Very Happy
rgds Q'man.

Fuji White 5 door Dynamic SD4 AUTO +LUX PACK + Adaptive Xenons -Built 22-12- 2011 - delivered 12-1-12
13-01-2012 11:11am