Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
50.4 MPG
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: 50.4 MPG

I had a look at all the Evoques registered on Fuelly.......... Someone has logged 62.9mpg for an SD4! Think it might be a bit of a suspect entry that one!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2012 05:58pm by XFullFatTim.)
10-10-2012 04:31pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
speary

If you judge your consumption from the trip computer Auto setting, it can be missleading, for example.
On a journey from home to birmingham I would do about 20 miles of normal roads with traffic and then get on the motorway as I get on the motorway my average will have been about 35, as I travle further down the motorway it will gradually increase to about 42 if I stay under the speed limit. Lets say ?I then stop for a brew, when I set off the Auto trip resets its self and for the rest of the journey ?I will get easily to 48 mpg, until i come off the motorway again.
What i am trying to say is that trip A or B will give you a much more realistic average consumption, but the only way to get an acurate figure is to brim the tank, run it almost empty, brim again and divide the number of miles by the number of gallons user

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
11-10-2012 08:19am
FujiSan

That's what most of do anyway. I think you'll find that is the case for most of the MPG figures quoted here - we know how the trip meters work.
Wink

With the possible exception of that 62.9 figure..... not any of the LRE's trip meters could be that optimistic!

TD4 Pure - Now a rare breed...

[Image: 131166.png]
11-10-2012 08:39am
Evo-king

My fuelly figure has just been corrected to UK Gallons, now a more respectable reading.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
11-10-2012 12:19pm
Barton Evoque

1200 miles gone now in nearly seven weeks averaging 38.9mpg,very happy if it stays like this Smile

Evoque My13 TD4 Pure.Orkney Grey with Tech Pack~Spare Wheel~Front Fogs~Privacy Glass~Ebony Interior~Mudflaps~Evoque Footrest~DVD Headrests~Towtrust Towbar.Collected 17th Sept. Very Happy
Also nicely modded Audi TT Roadster.
01-11-2012 09:37pm
Evo-king

It's bound to drop a bit in the coming months, with colder temperatures and winter diesel.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
01-11-2012 11:04pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Yes, using things like the heated screens, heating, heated steering wheel and seat heaters puts a big load on the alternator and increases fuel consumption.
I was recently advised that I shouldn't ever leave the car idling on the drive to warm it up, just long enogh to clear the front and rear screens otherwise there can be enough particulate generated to give the DPF a very hard time and that means even higher fuel consumption when it goes through a regeneration cycle

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
01-11-2012 11:28pm
DaveR

I wonder by how much these mileage claims were overstated.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20201950
05-11-2012 01:15pm
NightFox

(01-11-2012 11:28pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Yes, using things like the heated screens, heating, heated steering wheel and seat heaters puts a big load on the alternator and increases fuel consumption.
I was recently advised that I shouldn't ever leave the car idling on the drive to warm it up, just long enogh to clear the front and rear screens otherwise there can be enough particulate generated to give the DPF a very hard time and that means even higher fuel consumption when it goes through a regeneration cycle

Not being particularly knowledgeable on these things, I've never really understood this. This is my understanding of how vehicle electrics work: the engine turns and a belt linked to it drives the alternator which in turn keeps the battery charged. How does putting a higher load on the battery make a difference to fuel economy? Surely the alternator's being driven the same irrespective of the load?

I'm not disputing it does make a difference, it's just I'd like to understand why it does.

MY13 TD4 Pure Manual ~ Tech Pack ~ Mauritius Blue ~ Panoramic Roof ~ Adaptive Xenons ~ Park Assist ~ Keyless Entry ~ Reversing Camera ~ Powerfold Mirrors ~ Autodimming Mirror
Ordered 14/6/12 ~ Built 13/11/12 ~ Delivered 15/11/12 ~ Collected 20/11/12

[Image: 163643.png]
05-11-2012 01:40pm
PhilSkill

(05-11-2012 01:40pm)NightFox Wrote:  Not being particularly knowledgeable on these things, I've never really understood this. This is my understanding of how vehicle electrics work: the engine turns and a belt linked to it drives the alternator which in turn keeps the battery charged. How does putting a higher load on the battery make a difference to fuel economy? Surely the alternator's being driven the same irrespective of the load?

I'm not disputing it does make a difference, it's just I'd like to understand why it does.

As Energy systems cannot be 100% efficient, The more load you draw from the car's system the more resistance the alternator has against turning, therefore more engine power is required to turn the alternator, therefore using power that could have been used to drive the wheels and so costing you mpg.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2012 02:11pm by PhilSkill.)
05-11-2012 02:09pm