Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
380Nm vs 430Nm Torque
AndyFrance

380Nm vs 430Nm Torque

Help, advice and owner feedback needed please.

I know this subject has been discussed before, but I am unable to find the right answer’s.

Back in March after a test drive in a MY15 on normal town roads I placed an order for a MY16 TD4 with the 150hp 2.0 Ingenium engine, manual gearbox. At that time the torque figure was listed as 430Nm. Plenty, I thought, but since then LR have revised that down to 380Nm.

I can upgrade to the 180hp engine, which has 430Nm, but with a 0-100km/h only 0.8 seconds faster than the 150, I don’t think the €2,900 price tag is realistic. Especially as it’s basically the same engine, but tweaked.

I live in an area where the car will be driven on country lanes and some unmade tracks, both with tight bends, and I am now wondering if the engine will be underpowered due to the lower torque output. Will the loss of 50Nm really make that much of a difference, or will it require extra gear down shifts to compensate exiting bends and going uphill?

Anyone that owns a 2.2 eD4 380Nm willing to tell me how good or bad it drives torque wise in the countryside and in general?

I’m obviously not buying this car for speed, but I don’t want it to struggle when driving out of a bend or on a winding road. I’d be disappointed having a 50k donkey, when I could have made it do the job for a 3k upgrade.

Cheers
10-09-2015 10:11pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: 380Nm vs 430Nm Torque

There might not be much performance difference but I would imagine that the higher output will be working less hard and haul the Evoque's not insubstantial weight around better. The important performance difference will be the in gear acceleration which will be vastly different between the two engines. Also in the UK the lower powered Ingenium engine cannot be specced with 4WD or an auto gear box IIRC so is more akin to the old ED4.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2015 10:38pm by XFullFatTim.)
10-09-2015 10:37pm
m_101

I have previously driven an ed4 manual which felt a bit more sluggish than my sd4 auto (and was a coupe where mine is a 5 door), however my sd4 feels much better after a remap as well. The difference wasn't massive but I definitely liked stepping back into my own car (even though the loaner they gave me at the time had no rattles!)

5 door MY12 Fuji Dynamic Plus with shadow chromes, santorini contrast roof, power tailgate and a couple of added rattles!
Mods - Black RR bonnet vents, Side steps, Silicone rear wiper, rear sill protector, rear sill plates, LED interior lighting conversion, 2014 Sat Nav update.
10-09-2015 10:43pm
walterwindbag

Andy, I tend to agree with what Tim says. I haven't driven the low powered engine but I imagine that the engine has been 'tweaked' - down - in an attempt to make an offer which offers minimum fuel consumption and minimum emissions. The Holy Grail in effect, but at a 'cost'.
Obviously this 'cost' will be in drivability and a greater propensity to lug in too high a gear. We have had these discussions before and my personal choice has been to plump for an auto which would make these problems go away (but which also forces the higher power engine into play).
I don't think the issue of 0-60 times is relevant, any more than top speed is. The whole issue of drivability falls in the range of say 20-80 and the torques available. How often does anyone go flat out 0-60 or max speed (even the nutters)?
I can't see the logic in spending this much money on a car and then not being comfortable with the performance and the number of wheels you're driving. And having too many pedals Smile
I've hedged my bets by going for the 'big' engine and the right number of pedals and then shelled out the extra £650 for active driveline to disconnect the back whenever it feels like it.
I would hate to think you have gone through all this soul searching (and researching) only to buy something you have to keep snatching gears with just to make due progress up the hills and round the bends. I know its an old cliché - but don't spoil the ship for a ha'perth of tar.
All the best
Walt

On order for Nov: SE Tech Coupe, 180bhp, 9 speed auto, pano roof, privacy glass, spare wheel, Auto High Beam, Rear camera, 5 year service pack, Active Driveline, Aintree Green, Almond/Espresso.
11-09-2015 09:35am
AndyFrance

Walt

How you doing mate?

I know there'll be a difference between the two, but how much difference? The auto box is a no no, so the figure's for the 180 manual driven lump are not much better than the 150 on paper. I'm not interested in top speed, or 0-60 really. If I were I could've spent the same money on the Audi TT. The pulling power decides this, 380 or 430Nm. It's now a strong possibility I'll upgrade if only for peace of mind.

I am hoping a couple of eD4 owner's will read this and share their driving experience's of the 380Nm motor before I take yet another plunge towards bankruptcy!

Cheers
11-09-2015 10:16am
walterwindbag

You did see this review Andy?

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/land...2wd-review

On order for Nov: SE Tech Coupe, 180bhp, 9 speed auto, pano roof, privacy glass, spare wheel, Auto High Beam, Rear camera, 5 year service pack, Active Driveline, Aintree Green, Almond/Espresso.
11-09-2015 11:11am
AndyFrance

(11-09-2015 11:11am)walterwindbag Wrote:  You did see this review Andy?

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/land...2wd-review

Yeah, I saw it the other day mate.

I'm just about to email the dealer, upgrade time once again!

I reckon you owe me 3 grand Walt Shocked
11-09-2015 11:14am
walterwindbag

(11-09-2015 11:14am)AndyFrance Wrote:  Yeah, I saw it the other day mate.

I'm just about to email the dealer, upgrade time once again!

I reckon you owe me 3 grand Walt Shocked

Good job you're rich like me. Yeah Rolling with Laughter
It's your own fault for thinking you could get away with a cheap engine (and gearbox) Smile
Walt

11-09-2015 11:59am
AndyFrance

The deed has been done Walt, but the gearbox stays the same you ol' git!

Have a great weekend mate

Andy

(10-09-2015 10:37pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  There might not be much performance difference but I would imagine that the higher output will be working less hard and haul the Evoque's not insubstantial weight around better. The important performance difference will be the in gear acceleration which will be vastly different between the two engines. Also in the UK the lower powered Ingenium engine cannot be specced with 4WD or an auto gear box IIRC so is more akin to the old ED4.

Thanks for that Tim. I know you're right, just needed a little push. The 180 has been ordered.

Andy
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2015 03:42pm by AndyFrance.)
11-09-2015 03:39pm
walterwindbag

You too Andy. I shall be popping in to my local stealer next week to slaver over the showroom models (have a few days off). Still 2 months to go!
Good to see you have seen the light. Still too many pedals though Smile
Catch you later.
Walt

11-09-2015 03:54pm