Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2wd vs 4wd
flakey99

RE: 2wd vs 4wd

(26-11-2011 09:13pm)LP Wrote:  To pick up fleet sales...and reduce average emissions across the range.

Agreed, some company car lists do not allow 4x4 vehicles and cap the emmissions limit of cars at 140g/km. eD4 sales in the UK will be 99.9% fleet. My gaffer drives an eD4 freelander because he wasn't allowed the 4x4 model, he ordered it before the evoque came on the list.

It'll annoy him when my evoque turns up Laughing
26-11-2011 10:16pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Skill

Theres not much snow here in britain so the 2wd is justified.

Personal car:- M3 coupe
Company car:- 61 focus econetic
Previous cars:- Z3, 986, 986S. Etc
26-11-2011 10:19pm
J77

All I am saying is that land rover could have put more effort into exploring more options to retain there 4x4 values rather than back track on 63yrs of history. 2013 the electric sport comes out, why couldn't that have been introduced on the evoque from day one. Accept my apologies for having a rant but it is something I feel passionate about.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
(This post was last modified: 26-11-2011 10:40pm by J77.)
26-11-2011 10:31pm
QUATTROMAN

This is the only reason a company who's history and reputation was built on building 4X4's would build a two wheel drive version of their iconic vehicles:-

http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/i...200_en.htm

Better off out of it....IMHO.
Same reason Aston "build" the Cygnet to reduce the average CO2 output of the "whole range"
so forget the fact that its not really an Aston but a clever tax reducing burdon to the company .
Same with the 2wd versions of Evoque and Freelander - reduces overall CO2 across the range -doesn't really matter how many they actually sell .. Tax loss loophole at its best.

Fuji White 5 door Dynamic SD4 AUTO +LUX PACK + Adaptive Xenons -Built 22-12- 2011 - delivered 12-1-12
(This post was last modified: 27-11-2011 02:15am by QUATTROMAN.)
27-11-2011 02:08am
mark_n

The reason the 2WD is more economical is because of reduced driveline friction and churning losses and reduced vehicle weight. While it would have been possible to make the 4WD manually selectable, they would not have achieved the same improvements.

The EU regulations do work on a fleet average which does take account of the actual numbers sold. JLR will have trouble meeting the regulations because of the profile of their cars.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
27-11-2011 06:17am
rsk21

2wd vs 4wd

I have to say that whilst the whole idea of a 2wd LR is anathema to me it is a necessary evil if it helps the company to meet regs and thus continue to build the world's best 4x4s.
27-11-2011 10:56am
Pedalpower

According to article i read (a interview with the MD and Designers), the reason is two fold, one for the emissions across the range, but more importantly to attract a new buyers to the brand. LR (and TATA) know that to be a successful highly profitable company they need to sell cars to a wider audience.

I for instance would not have considered a 4x4 version, i would not use it for its correct purpose, the weather here in the UK (london) is just not bad enough, and i would prefer the reduced cost and increase in mpg. I don't see the 2wd as a poor relation, quite the opposite i see it as a different model offering something different. I can't wait to get mine, and have never once thought i should get a 4wd.

Thats not to say the 4wd is not awesome, it really is !, but for me and lots of people like me, i don't see the point in carrying an extra 100kg of 4wd system which i will never utilise. Dropping that weight, drag and complexity just makes the 2wd better for what i want it for. I don't think one is better than the other, they are both awesome cars, on and off road, granted a 2wd won't be much use off-road, but thats a given, i think its more of a shame when you see all these 4wd cars that never even see mud !. Likewise a few people on this forum do post that they use their 4wd models off-road, and if i had that application i would be going 4wd for sure !.

The dealer i went with in london said he has sold mainly 2wd, i think it will contribute significantly to the overall model success. That surely can't be a bad thing ! Smile
(This post was last modified: 27-11-2011 06:10pm by Pedalpower.)
27-11-2011 04:15pm
J77

Agree that Brussels has a lot answer for.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
27-11-2011 06:23pm
PhilSkill

I agree with you pedalpower there is a whole market there for land rover to tap into because the starting price point makes it incredibly competitive with a whole host of average saloon cars.

Once the inital furore of the Evoque dies off and discounts are there to be had, suddenly the base spec 2WD Pure will rival many a car out there. If you were able to get 1500 off a 27000 car you have an absolute Bargain for such a spec of car!

I could have a Nissan (P)juke or an Evoque... No Contest!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
28-11-2011 12:29am