Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20" Tyre dilemma - OEM Michelin vs OEM Continental vs Pirelli Pzero
Lone Rangerover

20" Tyre dilemma - OEM Michelin vs OEM Continental vs Pirelli Pzero

I have secured a set of 20" evoque wheels for my dynamic, and am debating about tire choices.

I will be using a dedicated set of winter tires, when the time comes, so all season doesnt really matter to me.

I would like a high performing quiet tire with excellent ride , wet and dry handling.

You guys all know what the factory contis and michelins look like - but These are the pirellis I am considering in the factory size (245/45/20)

http://www.google.ca/search?q=pirelli+pz...TpnZpNAPM:

Questions:
1. I have the factory 19" dynamic wheels with the contis on them from the factory. HOw would the Pireliis compare relative to the contis (both in 20") ?

2. Which brand would look the best visually ?

3. COuld I run a 275/40/20 on the factory wheels - and how would this look - any pics from anyone who has done this ?

Best
(This post was last modified: 15-07-2012 02:25am by Lone Rangerover.)
15-07-2012 02:24am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BFGEvoqueMan

RE: 20" Tyre dilemma - OEM Michelin vs OEM Continental vs Pirelli Pzero

From experience gained I would say for longevity it must be michelin. The continentals on my SLK lasted 12000 miles, 90% of which is daily urban commute! I have replaced with michelin and the ride is better, wet weather grip much better and above all quieter.

My last ford focus had michelins, only 1/2 worn at 30000 miles and that car got alot of B road abuse in the UK. My last FL2 had 19" conti's and they were already 1/2 worn at 7500 miles.

Guess you know what I am saying??

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
15-07-2012 05:44am
Evo-king

There are very few of us on here able to comment on wear issues, not enough miles on the clock for most of us, not many experienced a winter in it yet.

But what I do know is that there has been some serious tyre testing undertaken by LR staff based on my LRE day at Eastnor the other week, hence only 3 manufacturers provide tyres for the Evoque.

Also for the 20" tyres don't you only get Continentals and Pirellis?

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
15-07-2012 01:30pm
Ranger4

I can't comment on the comparison between the different makes, but I can say that I am extremely happy with my Michelin Latitude Sports (20").

They look great, seem to be wearing well (only 4500 miles so far), are very smooth (even in dynamic mode, but obviously not when the road surface is dire!) and grip the road wonderfully - e.g when accelerating fast up a hill and then negotiating a tight 90degree turn, I find they help hug the road superbly, obviously the 4WD is a factor here too.

5 door, SD4 Auto, Dynamic LUX, Orkney Grey, Verve Interior, Ebony Headlining, Privacy Glass, Spare Wheel......
15-07-2012 02:23pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

And your Adaptive Dynamics will be helping Ranger

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
15-07-2012 08:06pm
Lone Rangerover

(15-07-2012 08:06pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  And your Adaptive Dynamics will be helping Ranger

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

It seems most of the European 20's are on Michelins.

Anyone have the 20" OEM Contis ? Interested in how people like these.
15-07-2012 10:27pm
Kimv

(15-07-2012 10:27pm)Lone Rangerover Wrote:  Thanks to everyone for their responses.

It seems most of the European 20's are on Michelins.

Anyone have the 20" OEM Contis ? Interested in how people like these.

I have the 20" Continentals. I cannot really compare since I never had any other tires on the car. I also can't comment on wear because I've only received the car about 1,5 month ago.

All I can say is that, despite the fact that some people call them Craptinentals, I'm not negatively shocked by their performance. For normal use (I don't race the car...) they do what they are supposed to do i.e. keep the car on the road both in wet and dry conditions. I do find them a bit noisy though (but not disturbingly) but maybe someone else can confirm this?

Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Tech Pack, Santorini Black, Verve Interior with Ebony headlining, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Solar Attenuating Glass, Style 7 Alloys, Adaptive Dynamics.
(This post was last modified: 16-07-2012 11:29am by Kimv.)
16-07-2012 11:28am
Pricy147

The evoque is the mrs's car so dont drive it that much. got the Conti 20s on it, and cant say I have had any cause for concern. Up to ~ 15k on the clock (mostly motorway) and plenty of tread remaining.

Current Cars:

- TTRS Roadster | Phantom Black | Aluminium Pack | Bose | Ipod Dock | 19" Titanium Grey Alloys | Through Load Facility
- Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Coupe | Firenze Red | Panoramic Roof | Towbar | Satin Brushed Centre Console

[Image: 4fasq.jpg]
16-07-2012 01:41pm
ChuckieB

Am not having any problems with the contis so far. They seem absolutely fine in the rain and I don't find them noisy.

My only question might be around durability. I suspect they might be in Pirelli territiory rather than Michelin territory. Having said I have found Michelins to be almost too durable and have often replaced them on other cars not because of tread depth but because the tyres get to an age where they have seen better days.

We'll have to see how we manage with them over winter.

---------------------------------
Firenze SD4 Prestige Man Eb/Iv AD Keyless Powered Tailgate Roof Rails
Delivered 17/2/2012!

Other '05 Cliosport 182 FF
16-07-2012 01:53pm
Lone Rangerover

(16-07-2012 01:53pm)ChuckieB Wrote:  Am not having any problems with the contis so far. They seem absolutely fine in the rain and I don't find them noisy.

My only question might be around durability. I suspect they might be in Pirelli territiory rather than Michelin territory. Having said I have found Michelins to be almost too durable and have often replaced them on other cars not because of tread depth but because the tyres get to an age where they have seen better days.

We'll have to see how we manage with them over winter.

You might have a point there. Has anyone driven on both michelins and contis ? I wonder how they compare in a back to back comparison.
21-07-2012 03:03am