Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20" Continental Cross Contact UHP Tyres. Fit for purpose?
1happydream

RE: 20" Continental Cross Contact UHP Tyres. Fit for purpose?

The question was concerning SNOW "...has anyone experienced these Continentals in snow yet? ..".
We all appreciate Conti on tarmac...

1happydream
29-01-2012 06:14am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
martinPL

(28-01-2012 11:49pm)QueJumper Wrote:  Yes but fine on what? Tarmac and dry hard packed gravel maybe but they don't look that great for snow or mud. Anyone driven them in any of that?

tyres on 20" RRE wheels are summer performance and we should not expect them to be any good in wintery/cold conditions. Indeed, these tyres suck on snow/ice and they are supposed to. I have another set of wheels with winters for the RRS (Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow; no complaints here) and am in a process of obtaining a set for my soon to be in the house Tongue Out RRE.
---------------------------------
Oops, I missed the "how they are in the snow" part of the question - SORRY!!! They are terrible in winter and I would never attempt to use them in wintery conditions. I once was surprised by unexpected snow and could not make it home on these tyres. If it was flat only I would have managed but on slopes greater than 4% and with slippery icy surface the RRS was going anywhere but where I wanted it to go - scary. no electronic modes helped. The rubber of summer tyres is simply not meant to be used at such low temperatures
(This post was last modified: 29-01-2012 06:47am by martinPL.)
29-01-2012 06:37am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Yes my experience of Craptinentals on a TDv6 RRS was not good and they were the M&S version not the UHP. My last RRS and FFRR both had Pirellis which were much much better tyres in the snow. I have a set of Craptinental winter tyres waiting at home to be fitted when I get back as the suppliers couldn't get me Pirelli S&I tyres. The Craptinental snow and ice tyres came recommended by some friends in Norway. The Craptinental summer tyres on my car have so far proved to be OK offroad, but it wasn't mudplugging, just forest fire roads and wet grass

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
29-01-2012 10:01am
QueJumper

20" Continental Cross Contact UHP Tyres. Fit for purpose?

I think I'll pass this year and hope that by next year there might be some more options as 245/45R20 seems quite a new size. I'd really like to run the same Pirellis that we have on the Disco which seem pretty good as an all year tyre. If not then I'll get a set of the SNow and Ice to keep as winter tyres only but I really wanted to get a bit more mud performance too so an all year MS rated would be better. Shame the Pirelli ATR isn't available in this size as that was a great alround tyre.

Now Sold - Small, clean, fun car mainly for me - Sd4 Dynamic Lux - White/Black roof

Still going strong - Big, dirty, fun car mainly for the wife, kids and dog - Disco 4 - Blue (with lots of mud outside, sweets & litter inside)
01-02-2012 06:00pm