babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Battery conditioner - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Technical (/Forum-Technical)
+--- Thread: Battery conditioner (/Thread-Battery-conditioner)

Pages: 1 2

Battery conditioner - Jikpeme - 10-12-2015 02:29pm

I am retired and do a very low annual mileage. I therefore experience low battery warnings and error messages as " gear box fault and warning about terrain response" which I am told are due to low battery voltage. Has anyone fitted the battery conditioner that Jaguar Range Rover has asked me to have fitted to my vehicle?

RE: Battery conditioner - Donny Dog - 10-12-2015 11:20pm

(10-12-2015 02:29pm)Jikpeme Wrote:  I am retired and do a very low annual mileage. I therefore experience low battery warnings and error messages as " gear box fault and warning about terrain response" which I am told are due to low battery voltage. Has anyone fitted the battery conditioner that Jaguar Range Rover has asked me to have fitted to my vehicle?

There are already several threads on this subject. If you search for 'CTEK' you'll find at least some of them.

These type of smart chargers are excellent, buy you don't have to pay Land Rover prices - they use re-badged CTEK chargers which you can buy much cheaper and fit yourself. I've had an XS 3600 for years and it works fine on an Evoque 2.2 diesel (search my user name and CTEK for details). It's probably obsolete by now, but you can search the CTEK website for the correct one by battery amp-hours (probably a 3800 or 5000) then use eBay etc. to source one at the best price.

RE: Battery conditioner - jeffersj - 12-12-2015 02:23pm

Just bought a CTEK MXS500 from ebay at £58 which came with the normal clip connectors and the comfort connector which can be attached to the battery permanently so that you can just plug into mains any time without removing covers etc. Also included was a rubber cover (bumper) to protect the charger. Used already on the Defender and very impressed. Just plug in and forget about it.

RE: Battery conditioner - Jikpeme - 12-12-2015 02:40pm

(12-12-2015 02:23pm)jeffersj Wrote:  Just bought a CTEK MXS500 from ebay at £58 which came with the normal clip connectors and the comfort connector which can be attached to the battery permanently so that you can just plug into mains any time without removing covers etc. Also included was a rubber cover (bumper) to protect the charger. Used already on the Defender and very impressed. Just plug in and forget about it.

Thank you very much for your helpful reply.

(12-12-2015 02:23pm)jeffersj Wrote:  Just bought a CTEK MXS500 from ebay at £58 which came with the normal clip connectors and the comfort connector which can be attached to the battery permanently so that you can just plug into mains any time without removing covers etc. Also included was a rubber cover (bumper) to protect the charger. Used already on the Defender and very impressed. Just plug in and forget about it.

I appreciate your reply

RE: Battery conditioner - Jim C - 18-12-2015 07:17pm

Jeff, have you tried it on the Evoque yet? Any advice on how to connect (safely) the comfort connector to the Evoque battery, and can you charge with the bonnet fully closed?

RE: Battery conditioner - jeffersj - 26-12-2015 01:57pm

Jim

Sorry for delay in replying, have been away. Yes it is easy to fit to the several nuts attached to the battery terminals and just feed out out into the engine bay ready for attaching when needed.

Went through the whole programme on the Evoque (full charge and recon.) with the bonnet closed loosely
but not snapped shut so not sure if the bonnet was causing any voltage drop. Left overnight with no problems of overheating or any adverse effects.

Did the same for the Defender keeping battery fully topped up without having do undo any terminal nuts or connections, makes battery charging very simple indeed. Highly recommended!!Very Happy

RE: Battery conditioner - AndyFrance - 27-12-2015 01:32pm

Hi,

I have purchased a CTEK bundle. Connected the eyelet comfort indicator this morning. Red light flashing, which according to info online means the battery is 80%+ discharged.

I've only had the car 5 weeks, and I'm not doing many short runs. I've read here that battery drain is a problem, but disappointed that nothing has changed for the MY16 model.

Never owned a car so over rated. This average car sells in huge numbers purely on looks........Well, it drew me in, and oh boy, do I regret it.

RE: Battery conditioner - jeffersj - 27-12-2015 06:25pm

The ECO button is great for LR meeting emission targets but takes its toll on the battery which they do not have to worry about because it is not a warranty issue. Best switch ECO off.

RE: Battery conditioner - AndyFrance - 27-12-2015 09:33pm

(27-12-2015 06:25pm)jeffersj Wrote:  The ECO button is great for LR meeting emission targets but takes its toll on the battery which they do not have to worry about because it is not a warranty issue. Best switch ECO off.

Thanks for the tip Jeff!

RE: Battery conditioner - AndyFrance - 28-12-2015 12:55pm

Charged it up overnight, 100% or thereabouts, indicator flashing green.

Just returned from a run, 48km's, checked indicator, flashing amber? Put it on charge again.

This car is a bloody joke!

Any lurker's here, I'm going to give you some good advice..........Go buy a different brand of car.