babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
A recurring squeak resolved - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Maintenance (/Forum-Maintenance)
+--- Thread: A recurring squeak resolved (/Thread-A-recurring-squeak-resolved)

A recurring squeak resolved - smokeyhill - 24-03-2015 11:35pm

This may help others as I have read a few squeak and rattle stories on here that have helped me sort a few on my Evoque.

I have had a recurring squeak that I was convinced was coming from the top back of the drivers seat. Didn't seem to be anything to do with the headrest and couldnt work out how to remove the plastic seat back to take a look at the inside of the seat. Weirdly as the car warmed up it would ease off.

So I took it to my local dealership - Lancaster in Welwyn - and demonstrated the fault to an engineer. But on collection next day was told they were unable to replicate the issue, which left me a bit unimpressed with what has otherwise been an exemplary service from them.

So after a few weeks and more annoying squeaks - especially when starting from cold when it seemed far worse - I took it back for them to take another look. They tightened the seat springs but next day a test drive showed that again driving from cold it was still very much there.

It was really driving me crazy to the point of seriously wondering if I was going to keep the car - the upcoming 2015 Skoda Superb was starting to look rather attractive! So anyway this evening it being a cold night I drove with the heating off, removed the drivers seat head rest, and recorded the sound on my phone. It was very much like a metal on metal high pitched noise and was going off at the slightest bump in the road.
However, only with the head rest off was it apparent the sound was actually coming from the rear seats. No wonder Lancaster could not fix the fault with the front seat, there wasn't one there. Major Doh! moment.

So dropped the rear seats down, a quick spray of silicon spray in the seat hinges and catch, a good hefty slam click putting it back upright, and the squeak has at last gone.

My goodness what a difference. Don't know if I feel more relieved or stupid, but at least its all sorted now.

RE: A recurring squeak resolved - Jeroma - 25-03-2015 02:36pm

(24-03-2015 11:35pm)smokeyhill Wrote:  This may help others as I have read a few squeak and rattle stories on here that have helped me sort a few on my Evoque.

I have had a recurring squeak that I was convinced was coming from the top back of the drivers seat. Didn't seem to be anything to do with the headrest and couldnt work out how to remove the plastic seat back to take a look at the inside of the seat. Weirdly as the car warmed up it would ease off.

So I took it to my local dealership - Lancaster in Welwyn - and demonstrated the fault to an engineer. But on collection next day was told they were unable to replicate the issue, which left me a bit unimpressed with what has otherwise been an exemplary service from them.

So after a few weeks and more annoying squeaks - especially when starting from cold when it seemed far worse - I took it back for them to take another look. They tightened the seat springs but next day a test drive showed that again driving from cold it was still very much there.

It was really driving me crazy to the point of seriously wondering if I was going to keep the car - the upcoming 2015 Skoda Superb was starting to look rather attractive! So anyway this evening it being a cold night I drove with the heating off, removed the drivers seat head rest, and recorded the sound on my phone. It was very much like a metal on metal high pitched noise and was going off at the slightest bump in the road.
However, only with the head rest off was it apparent the sound was actually coming from the rear seats. No wonder Lancaster could not fix the fault with the front seat, there wasn't one there. Major Doh! moment.

So dropped the rear seats down, a quick spray of silicon spray in the seat hinges and catch, a good hefty slam click putting it back upright, and the squeak has at last gone.

My goodness what a difference. Don't know if I feel more relieved or stupid, but at least its all sorted now.
--------------------------------------------
I must say that the suspension squeak on my Evoque is driving me crazy too. I' m almost convienced it originates from the coil springs and starts as soon as the temperatures drops below 10 to 8 deg C .
It's front and rear, hope summer is coming soon.

I had the same issue on my previous car, a Renault Koleos, but not as pronounced as on the Evoque.
In general spaying thick grade oil on the springs can cure the problem, but I wonder if someone else is faced with the same problem, or eventually has a solution.

In the stupid countries I live or drive you have speed bumps every half mile, a poor man's solution for collective punishment

RE: A recurring squeak resolved - Crustydaemon - 25-03-2015 05:59pm

I notice the same thing too, going over small bumps the suspension squeals.

RE: A recurring squeak resolved - Gary pa28 - 29-03-2015 03:50pm

(25-03-2015 02:36pm)Jeroma Wrote:  --------------------------------------------
I must say that the suspension squeak on my Evoque is driving me crazy too. I' m almost convienced it originates from the coil springs and starts as soon as the temperatures drops below 10 to 8 deg C .
It's front and rear, hope summer is coming soon.

I had the same issue on my previous car, a Renault Koleos, but not as pronounced as on the Evoque.
In general spaying thick grade oil on the springs can cure the problem, but I wonder if someone else is faced with the same problem, or eventually has a solution.

In the stupid countries I live or drive you have speed bumps every half mile, a poor man's solution for collective punishment

Just had my front bushes changed under warranty due to squeaking ,this only started when the weather turned cold , there's a fix from LR under warranty , look into it

RE: A recurring squeak resolved - HotLap - 31-03-2015 09:07pm

Thanks Smokeyhill for the heads up on your squeak and the cure! None to date (fingers crossed) but I'll keep that in mind!

RE: A recurring squeak resolved - Jeroma - 05-04-2015 08:15pm

(29-03-2015 03:50pm)Gary pa28 Wrote:  Just had my front bushes changed under warranty due to squeaking ,this only started when the weather turned cold , there's a fix from LR under warranty , look into it
-----------------Thanks Gary, I' ll have a chat with the dealer..

RE: A recurring squeak resolved - ChuckieB - 06-05-2015 03:49pm

Finally took time out to invest in a £5.99 can of silicon spray. Application to the seat catches and an irritating problem seemingly solved.

Why didn't I do it sooner!

I now have a £5.99 can of silicon spray left over for the door seals this winter. Yet another thing I should have done sooner!

RE: A recurring squeak resolved - Jeroma - 07-05-2015 07:59pm

(29-03-2015 03:50pm)Gary pa28 Wrote:  Just had my front bushes changed under warranty due to squeaking ,this only started when the weather turned cold , there's a fix from LR under warranty , look into it
------------------------
Gary, I handed my car in today to fix that squeak in the suspension, the reception desk knew about it and straight away ordered new suspension bushes and it's under warranty as you mention.
Thanks for the information Gary it saved my day.