babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Removing gear selector top - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Modifications (/Forum-Modifications)
+--- Thread: Removing gear selector top (/Thread-Removing-gear-selector-top)

Pages: 1 2

Removing gear selector top - Tommomak - 05-07-2014 12:59pm

Hey guys, is there a handy how to or video guide on removing the gear selector top as I'm wanting to change to leather top.
Any help greatly appreciated,

Thanks Tom

RE: Removing gear selector top - JimWooly - 05-07-2014 11:30pm

Google and or the search function are your friends - Try 'Googling' 'remove evoque gear selector top' and one of the hits is http://babyrr.com/forum/archive/index.php?thread-7192.html Smile

RE: Removing gear selector top - Tommomak - 06-07-2014 08:22pm

I can find plenty of people talking about doing it and saying they've done it but nothing on how they've done it Sad

RE: Removing gear selector top - JimWooly - 06-07-2014 08:58pm

The following quote is from the topic I suggested earlier

Quote:Mark^^ quite easy, remove the plastic center section of the old selector, and take off the old one which is held on by a single torqex screw. Put on the new one tighten it up and stick on the new leather topper.
Note:-
It is a 'bugga' to get the plastic top off - they must have used cement, but it is only two way tape. LR instructions show a hammer to whack it off! Done this twice now as we are on our replacement car (don't ask). Helps if you gently heat it with a hair dryer. But it is doubtful it can used again. Also when you take off the old rotary drive selector, underneath there is a plastic sleeve which is not required, as the new ones are molded underneath.
...... and the new one needs a little help from a washer as it is a little wobbly when fastened on, (on both occasions I fitted them) only a small thin washer, but this then makes it as tight as the old one. I wouldn't want to try and over tighten the screw as the thread belongs to an expensive piece of the mechanism. A small washer on the top does not effect the placement of the new topper - again two way tape.

http://babyrr.com/forum/attachment.php?aid=3346

http://babyrr.com/forum/thread-5591.html

PS. The new car has also now got the red flappy paddle things as they were free - wouldn't want to pay for them at £360.00 (UK) !!! - easier to fit than the gear selector by far.

I seem to remember someone else drilling a hole in the centre and using a self tapping screw to pull it off.

RE: Removing gear selector top - Tommomak - 06-07-2014 09:04pm

So it seems to be gentle heat with a hair dryer and then some slight persuasion with a prying implement?!

RE: Removing gear selector top - Mark^^ - 07-07-2014 12:55pm

OK what I did was heat up a soldering iron and burn a hole in the initial shiny plastic lid. I then used a fine screw driver to pry off the lid fully, I did this knowing that I would not be able to use the old one.

With the leather top, if you want to use the original selector you need to use some thicker double sided tap, as the stuff LR use is to flat and it wont fit easily. With thicker double sided tape the new leather one should sit tightly but to the edge of the selector, not tightly and sloping as with the initial shiny top.

If you are changing your selector to that sports one then it is a matter of undoing the torex screw in the middle of the selector retighten. Note when putting back together make sure you have a tight selector fit and you may need a washer to make it all fit tightly. Then you just put on the leather one.

I had the original set up, and changed it for the sports one with the leather top. In the end I went back to the original selector with the leather top and like it as is fits in with the leather tops of the other buttons. Oh and the winner, Dan at Duckworth, who was good to send me all the parts etc. from the UK to Aust and at a reasonable price.

RE: Removing gear selector top - Tommomak - 07-07-2014 03:11pm

(07-07-2014 12:55pm)Mark^^ Wrote:  OK what I did was heat up a soldering iron and burn a hole in the initial shiny plastic lid. I then used a fine screw driver to pry off the lid fully, I did this knowing that I would not be able to use the old one.

With the leather top, if you want to use the original selector you need to use some thicker double sided tap, as the stuff LR use is to flat and it wont fit easily. With thicker double sided tape the new leather one should sit tightly but to the edge of the selector, not tightly and sloping as with the initial shiny top.

If you are changing your selector to that sports one then it is a matter of undoing the torex screw in the middle of the selector retighten. Note when putting back together make sure you have a tight selector fit and you may need a washer to make it all fit tightly. Then you just put on the leather one.

I had the original set up, and changed it for the sports one with the leather top. In the end I went back to the original selector with the leather top and like it as is fits in with the leather tops of the other buttons. Oh and the winner, Dan at Duckworth, who was good to send me all the parts etc. from the UK to Aust and at a reasonable price.

Do you have any images of the fimished product?!

Thanks Tom

RE: Removing gear selector top - Mark^^ - 08-07-2014 01:07pm

Yep, here they are, but sorry not with the final bits all together in the up mode.

[Image: DSC03169_zps25146f44.jpg]

[Image: DSC03170_zps43be6478.jpg]

RE: Removing gear selector top - Tommomak - 09-07-2014 03:31pm

So got round to doin it today.......

Thanks for all the help, will be gently caressing this on every journey Wink

RE: Removing gear selector top - Evo-king - 09-07-2014 08:43pm

I'm still debating whether to fit the Red Rotary Dial Selector.