babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
K&N or Pipercross air filter - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Modifications (/Forum-Modifications)
+--- Thread: K&N or Pipercross air filter (/Thread-K-N-or-Pipercross-air-filter)

Pages: 1 2

K&N or Pipercross air filter - thelastnat - 03-12-2013 04:54am

Both are available for an Evoque, I was wondering which is better?

RE: K&N or Pipercross air filter - Jeroma - 03-12-2013 12:25pm

(03-12-2013 04:54am)thelastnat Wrote:  Both are available for an Evoque, I was wondering which is better?
This are in fact more or less competition air filters and they will have to serviced at regular intervals. A servicing kit is available from the manufacturers.
The filters are not to be used in a dusty environment unless you add an additional protection.

I got the filters on my Classic Sport cars here they are located in a straight line to the intake manifold, on an Evoque they probably make no difference in power, only an increase in engine noise Crying

K&N or Pipercross air filter - thelastnat - 03-12-2013 12:28pm

The reason i asked because i changed my stock to a sport exhaust and planning to do a remap soon. Any recommendations regarding the filters?

RE: K&N or Pipercross air filter - Jeroma - 03-12-2013 12:45pm

(03-12-2013 12:28pm)thelastnat Wrote:  The reason i asked because i changed my stock to a sport exhaust and planning to do a remap soon. Any recommendations regarding the filters?

For the Evoque my choice would be K&N, very well designed

RE: K&N or Pipercross air filter - speary - 04-12-2013 09:41am

As these filters are expensive I would first ask, what is the bottleneck in the intake system? Is it the filter of is it the narrow convoluted design of the intake pipes. If the pipes are at maximum flow with a standard filter I doubt a free flow filter would help. Happy to be proved wrong Very Happy

Re: RE: K&N or Pipercross air filter - bloubul7 - 04-12-2013 04:16pm

(04-12-2013 09:41am)speary Wrote:  As these filters are expensive I would first ask, what is the bottleneck in the intake system? Is it the filter of is it the narrow convoluted design of the intake pipes. If the pipes are at maximum flow with a standard filter I doubt a free flow filter would help. Happy to be proved wrong Very Happy

My airflow increased with 12g/s with the K&N.

RE: K&N or Pipercross air filter - speary - 05-12-2013 01:35pm

(04-12-2013 04:16pm)bloubul7 Wrote:  My airflow increased with 12g/s with the K&N.

Is that a lot? I am not familiar with measuring airflow

Re: RE: K&N or Pipercross air filter - bloubul7 - 06-12-2013 06:29am

(05-12-2013 01:35pm)speary Wrote:  Is that a lot? I am not familiar with measuring airflow

Stock air filter flowed about 160g/s
K&N filter flowed about 172g/s

So the increase is 7.5% which is not bad.

RE: K&N or Pipercross air filter - Jeroma - 06-12-2013 01:31pm

(04-12-2013 09:41am)speary Wrote:  As these filters are expensive I would first ask, what is the bottleneck in the intake system? Is it the filter of is it the narrow convoluted design of the intake pipes. If the pipes are at maximum flow with a standard filter I doubt a free flow filter would help. Happy to be proved wrong Very Happy

Yes K&N are expensive, but you are not supposed to change them. K&N provides a filter cleaning kit consisting of a cleaning fluid and special oil. Contrary to the paper elements in standard filters, the K&N filter uses a purpose designed mesh to allow cleaning.
For dusty areas K&N provides an xtra foam prefilter.
Yes no doubt they allow for higher airflow, Smile

RE: K&N or Pipercross air filter - m_101 - 06-12-2013 05:24pm

However, what effect does that allowance actually have on the engine would be the question, i.e. same deal - where is the bottleneck in the system? Haven't previously looked into this myself!