babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Wing Mirrors and EU Legislation - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: Wing Mirrors and EU Legislation (/Thread-Wing-Mirrors-and-EU-Legislation)

Wing Mirrors and EU Legislation - NightFox - 16-08-2012 02:50pm

I keep seeing reference to the 'elephant ear' wing mirrors on the Evoque being a result of EU legislation, but considering other brand new models I've seen still seem to have small and shapely wing mirrors I just wondered what this legislation actually was?

Personally I don't think the Evoque's mirrors look in any way wrong, but loads of reviews seem to mention them (and the mystery EU legislation)

RE: Wing Mirrors and EU Legislation - IKM - 16-08-2012 03:20pm

Absolutely agree, never seen a conclusive answer yet about mirror size on new vehicles... Just casually put down to EU Regulations. And like you, I find the Evoque mirrors in fine proportion to the car itself, and a good parking aid.

RE: Wing Mirrors and EU Legislation - PhilSkill - 16-08-2012 03:20pm

E/ECE/324
E/ECE/TRANS/505 } Rev.1/Add.45/Rev.3
Regulation 46

15.2.4.3. Main exterior rear-view mirrors Class III
15.2.4.3.1. Exterior rear-view mirror on the driver’s side
The field of vision must be such that the driver can see at least a 4 m wide, flat,
horizontal portion of the road, which is bounded by a plane parallel to the median
longitudinal vertical plane and passing through the outermost point of the vehicle
on the driver’s side of the vehicle and extends from 20 m behind the driver’s
ocular points to the horizon (see Figure 6).
In addition, the road must be visible to the driver over a width of 1 m, which is
bounded by a plane parallel to the median longitudinal vertical plane and passing
through the outermost point of the vehicle starting from a point 4 m behind the
vertical plane passing through the driver’s ocular points.

RE: Wing Mirrors and EU Legislation - NightFox - 16-08-2012 03:24pm

(16-08-2012 03:20pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  E/ECE/324
E/ECE/TRANS/505 } Rev.1/Add.45/Rev.3
Regulation 46

15.2.4.2. Main exterior rear-view mirrors Class II
15.2.4.2.1. Exterior rear-view mirror on the driver's side
The field of vision must be such that the driver can see at least a 5 m wide, flat,
horizontal portion of the road, which is bounded by a plane which is parallel to the
median longitudinal vertical plane and passing through the outermost point of the
vehicle on the driver's side of the vehicle and extends from 30 m behind the
driver's ocular points to the horizon.
In addition, the road must be visible to the driver over a width of 1 m, which is
bounded by a plane parallel to the median longitudinal vertical plane and passing
through the outermost point of the vehicle starting from a point 4 m behind the
vertical plane passing through the driver's ocular points (see Figure 5).

I bet you didn't even have to look that up did you? Wink

Thanks, though I'm still not clear why this leads everyone to expect/excuse big mirrors on the Evoque when other new cars seem to meet the requirements with what are clearly smaller wing mirrors.

RE: Wing Mirrors and EU Legislation - PhilSkill - 16-08-2012 03:29pm

No TBH, I cant find any reference to the size of vehicle rear or limited rear view that effects the size of the external mirrors either.

For Anyone awake Laughing I changed to the Class III paragraph as the Evoque is a Category M1 vehicle (not Category M2 which is for 8 passengers which has compulsory Class 2 mirrors)

RE: Wing Mirrors and EU Legislation - NightFox - 16-08-2012 03:58pm

(16-08-2012 03:29pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  For Anyone awake Laughing I changed to the Class III paragraph as the Evoque is a Category M1 vehicle (not Category M2 which is for 8 passengers which has compulsory Class 2 mirrors)

I think we all noticed your rather obvious mistake but were just too polite to mention it Wink

RE: Wing Mirrors and EU Legislation - Vc - 16-08-2012 06:19pm

Perfect vision to the rear but I'd rather they didn't block my vision when on roundabouts or turning right. I think growing 2" taller is out of the question too!! Hey but I don't care, I still love the Evoque and have developed head bobbing to and fro to see Laughing