babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
RPM in S - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: RPM in S (/Thread-RPM-in-S)

RPM in S - evQ - 19-07-2012 07:53pm

In sports mode RPM goes up really high Twisted Evil before changing gears which I love...
But on occasionally it (/RPM) seems to not go down and stays around 3000 for quite a bit more than you would expect.
Does this happen to anyone where you accelerate and then taking the foot of the pedal the RPM still remains high
(~ 3,000Exclamation ) before eventually coming down to the 1.5k:ideaConfused

RE: RPM in S - evQ - 20-07-2012 01:23pm

Nothing..hmm.

RE: RPM in S - Jonathon555 - 20-07-2012 11:02pm

Are the revs sticking high ????

Puzzled

RE: RPM in S - jitenc - 21-07-2012 01:05am

(19-07-2012 07:53pm)evQ Wrote:  In sports mode RPM goes up really high Twisted Evil before changing gears which I love...
But on occasionally it (/RPM) seems to not go down and stays around 3000 for quite a bit more than you would expect.
Does this happen to anyone where you accelerate and then taking the foot of the pedal the RPM still remains high
(~ 3,000Exclamation ) before eventually coming down to the 1.5k:ideaConfused

I Think I know what you mean.. In sports mode the high revs are maintained, thus I'm anticipation that you are going to put your foot down and accelerate. It is a sports mode rhythm, so might as well be glad it is there..

RE: RPM in S - mark_n - 21-07-2012 09:14am

It's normal for the torque converter to lock up at high engine loads since to do otherwise would waste a lot of power in the transmission and generate a lot of heat. While locked up, the engine revs will reflect the road speed and the selected gear as in a manual transmission.

I expect that what you are seeing is a delay in the torque converter switching from locked-up mode to slush-box mode when you unexpectedly lift your foot after full bore acceleration. The car is expecting you to continue accelerating or at least maintain the speed you've attained, not lift your foot completely off the throttle.

It's trying to second-guess from the inputs what the driver wants and is obviously not programmed to understand this erratic style of driving behaviour...