babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Automatic gearbox technical question - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Technical (/Forum-Technical)
+--- Thread: Automatic gearbox technical question (/Thread-Automatic-gearbox-technical-question)

Automatic gearbox technical question - Claud - 18-01-2012 11:01pm

I pitched in on a post on engine spluttering on idle having noticed a judder from the engine occasionally on tick over, but it may not be an engine idle issue.

Guava asked me to take my car into today for further diagnosis and the technician suggested the judder may be linked to the gearbox.

Does anyone know if there is a a lock up clutch on the transmission which engages the torque converter? The symptoms occur when in drive stationary or moving in idle when creeping forward or backwards, giving the impression the drive is slipping/engine juddering causing the engine to rock.

A technical request is going into LR on the issue and the car will have to go back while they try to trace the fault.

RE: Automatic gearbox technical question - nctran19 - 20-01-2012 12:21am

I haven't noticed that issue yet, and I hope I will not in the future. However, I do feel a noticeable "clunk" at about 10-15 mph only in drive and only after start up. The tech is clueless and there are no other Evoques in the area to compare it to. They should receive another by the end of the month and will compare, so I hope have an update near then.

RE: Automatic gearbox technical question - Claud - 20-01-2012 12:28am

I have found this article giving a detailed description of the LR2 gearbox functionality which is identical (as far a i know) to the Evoque's.

http://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/userpics/11383/Auto%20Box%20Description%20and%20Operation.pdf

There are lock up mechanisms that operate in various gears which can give clunks if not operating smoothly, may give you or your dealer some clues.