babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Redundancies at Halewood - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: Redundancies at Halewood (/Thread-Redundancies-at-Halewood)

Pages: 1 2

Redundancies at Halewood - iced_07 - 30-12-2011 09:12pm

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2011/12/24/halewood-jaguar-land-rover-plant-redundancy-shock-for-agency-workers-100252-30005886/

I hope this doesn't result in continued delays, as they now seem to have caught up with previous delays. Additionally, if orders continue to be placed with dealers, long lead times may be around for a while

RE: Redundancies at Halewood - Sunseeker - 30-12-2011 09:37pm

one of the comments of a ex-worker :
"...Only, the quality is awful. We were told, we are not here to write a list of faults, we are here to sell cars. Laughable, 40k cars.Good luck to all who survived the cut backs, somehow i think you'll need it."

Hope my car has was not sooo bad... Sad

RE: Redundancies at Halewood - Dave_T - 30-12-2011 10:13pm

A result of the new Agency Workers Regulations that came into force in October?

Suspect a lot of agency / temp workers will have suffered the same Christmas present.

RE: Redundancies at Halewood - LDT - 30-12-2011 10:19pm

Mine has been delayed, and I am without a firm build date, so the catch up process is incomplete. I appreciate that the delay could be attributed to a parts issue, e.g. pano roof, but I do wish JLR were more transparent and those of us waiting were kept fully informed.

It is not helpful to read articles like this when so many are anxious to take delivery, although I am mindful that press articles are not always accurate. Again, even more reason for buyers to be kept informed.

On a separate note, I gleaned from another thread that warning triangles, torches etc are not standard issue with the RRE. Disappointing, as the cost to JLR would be minimal. If they are failing to supply such basic safety items, I hope that the small amount saved is being used wisely - I would suggest increased funds to the communications team, if they have one.

RE: Redundancies at Halewood - ED209 - 30-12-2011 10:49pm

Sounds like nothing to worry about to be honest, unless you are one of the poor Censored loosing your job.

RE: Redundancies at Halewood - LDT - 30-12-2011 11:33pm

(30-12-2011 10:49pm)ED209 Wrote:  Sounds like nothing to worry about to be honest, unless you are one of the poor Censored loosing your job.

Good point, well pointed out.

Redundancies at Halewood - Filski - 30-12-2011 11:35pm

It's 3% of the total number of additional agency workers they hired. Not much impact, unless you are one of those being let go.

RE: Redundancies at Halewood - The Valeter - 31-12-2011 12:00am

I don't see why the press release is so shocking as it states - they are agency workers which as I have a customer who owns an agency supply temporary staff to fullfill contracts & get "dehired" when the contract ends but as they are agency staff are then employed elsewhere - surely?

I am guessing these were hired to assist in the backlog?

RE: Redundancies at Halewood - LDT - 31-12-2011 01:34am

Yes, I think they were employed to deal with the backlog, but the article is irritating to me in two ways - 1. Not great to tell them just before Christmas, as I believe that as agency workers, there is no guarantee that they will move on to another job when one finishes, and 2. The backlog remains as far as I am aware.

I appreciate that the agency people may have worked in an area which has caught up, but my view is that yet again this is adverse publicity for JLR which eventually, when the Evoque hype has fallen to normal levels, which return to bite them on the bum.

Redundancies at Halewood - ceebee - 31-12-2011 10:16am

I run an outsourcing company that provides full- time permanent employees to a large organisation. Business is booming due to the new temporary working regulations. (hence a new Evoque)

It amazes me that the new regulations that were introduced to "protect" agency workers actually sometimes costs them their jobs. In the past some companies could use agency workers for up to 12 months prior to releasing them, now some companies are releasing the temps after 12 weeks to avoid having to give the agency workers the same benefits as their own permanent employees.

I have employed around 20 ex-agency workers over the past few years and have never met one who has any form of work lined up by the agency once their original 12 months contract was completed.

Also, due to the new guidelines, companies can be hit with significant fines if they re-use the same agency workers within a certain period of time as this as seen as a loop-hole to avoid giving the agency workers the companies benefits.