babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Sunroof option hypothetical - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+---- Forum: Polls (/Forum-Polls)
+---- Thread: Sunroof option hypothetical (/Thread-Sunroof-option-hypothetical)

Pages: 1 2

Sunroof option hypothetical - benzina - 29-10-2011 10:16am

If a conventional, front bias,yet good sized electric-opening-glass-sunroof was offered on the Evoque as a second option,
(and assuming it would naturally be more pricey then the current fixed-panoramic-sunroof), which sunroof option would you go for?

1. Fixed Panoramic sunroof. (As currently offered)
2. Electric opening glass sunroof (conventional, front bias,yet good size. It would reach halfway into the rear seat area).
3. None. (Prefer solid)

RE: Sunroof option hypothetical - Evo-king - 29-10-2011 03:02pm

I don't have any objections to an opening glass sunroof, my Merc has the full glass roof with opening, but I just think especially in the coupe that the full glass roof opens up the cabin more.

Personal choice.

RE: Sunroof option hypothetical - benzina - 30-10-2011 01:37am

Mmmm...Very interesting so far.
The poll is starting to confirm what i thought it might...that the conventional opening glass sunroof,is still, and always will be very desirable for many. LR take note!!!
I'm amazed they did'nt offer a conventional opening type,as i think they could have easily offered both types of sunroofs to please everyone.
Anyhow,keep the votes coming. Cheers.Smile

Note....with all the attention on the fixed panoramic sunroof,and the understandable viewing wow factor it offers, a small interesting sidenote about the Evoque with a solid roof, is that it is structually stronger,it's insulated,and it's lighter due to it being aluminium, thus lowering the center of gravity for better handling dynamics.

RE: Sunroof option hypothetical - Daigriff - 30-10-2011 10:50am

Fixed pano for me, hardly ever use the sunroof on previous cars. I prefer a light airy cabin. If I wanted to feel the wind in my hair I'd buy a soft top as well.

RE: Sunroof option hypothetical - berlin2011 - 30-10-2011 02:22pm

Fixed Pano as well - if you really wanted a sunroof that opens you could always get the solid roof and go aftermarket.

RE: Sunroof option hypothetical - benzina - 30-10-2011 03:18pm

Yep,have thought of aftermarket,but at the same time, i'm very sceptical about getting something like this done outside of the factory. In fact i'm sceptical about getting just about anything done to my car outside the factory.
When i ordered,i even went so far as offering them $5000 AUS to install it at the factory as a special request, but they simply could'nt,and would'nt bend.
I had really thought hard about the pano, but the thought of not being able to open it to excite, and fully sense the heavens ,would simply frustrate me i think...but thats just me.
Anyhow the Evoque is such an outstanding car in so many other ways, that i might just concentrate, and savour all those other things instead,and just forget about getting a sunroof altogether. This is generally a very hot climate, and harsh sun over here anyway.

RE: Sunroof option hypothetical - berlin2011 - 30-10-2011 04:03pm

Same here (climate) but think the Pano roof is part of the look and the way the blind is integrated is phenomenal, so won't have it without it (not that it's and option...it's standard spec in SA)

RE: Sunroof option hypothetical - benzina - 01-11-2011 03:49am

Well....i've just done a 360, and ordered the (damb fixed) Panoramic roof anyway. It will frustrate me not being able to open up to the fresh air on those balmy summer days ( i can always keep the blind closed and not think about it), but it will be nice to view out on those cold wet winter days, when you would have an opening glass sunroof closed anyway.
My car is just on the verge of being built, so i just got this in.
In the end,my personal philosophy on this is..... i'd still prefer 50% less panoramic glass roof for viewing, if it were an opening type any day, but without this option available in the real world, the panoramic glass roof will be 50% better then having no sunroof at all. Also,the fact that i have a black contrast roof already on order, the pano will blend in, and won't show up from the outside, which i also prefer for the asthetic reasons. Smile

RE: Sunroof option hypothetical - The Valeter - 01-11-2011 01:28pm

They could use the Freelander 2 double sunroofs. Front opens & rear is fixed, both with blinds.
(30-10-2011 02:22pm)berlin2011 Wrote:  Fixed Pano as well - if you really wanted a sunroof that opens you could always get the solid roof and go aftermarket.

I would be a little concered letting someone cut a hole in the roof of my £40,000+ car Shocked

RE: Sunroof option hypothetical - PhilSkill - 04-11-2011 12:16am

(01-11-2011 01:28pm)The Valeter Wrote:  They could use the Freelander 2 double sunroofs. Front opens & rear is fixed, both with blinds.

I would be a little concered letting someone cut a hole in the roof of my £40,000+ car Shocked

Like the idea of the double roof with front section opening, I do like a sunroof in the summer, but like the clean lines of the panoramic.

I'd always be concerned with an after market on the effectiveness of the drainage channels and seals, along with the tack on controls etc, often you cant go cutting holes in the roof as it forms part of the structure of the chassis.