babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Winter tyres - Uk catches up? - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: Winter tyres - Uk catches up? (/Thread-Winter-tyres-Uk-catches-up)

Pages: 1 2

Winter tyres - Uk catches up? - BFGEvoqueMan - 27-10-2011 08:41am

Good news for all those who have participated on the debate on the forum so far:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/259734/

RE: Winter tyres - Uk catches up? - flurberman - 27-10-2011 08:57am

Interesting article. I like the tyre 'hotel' service! Smile

Related article: Winter tyres - Prepare Early: http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/259586/

RE: Winter tyres - Uk catches up? - griff - 27-10-2011 09:43am

I think Kwik Fit and ATS are doing a tyre hotel as well.
Still can't make up my mind on Winter Tyres as Sussex never gets it that bad.

RE: Winter tyres - Uk catches up? - hybris - 27-10-2011 10:48am

Wink

I have tyre hotel for both my cars. Meaning I change the tires at the same place that they store them. So I never need to bother taking them home and finding room to store them. Done it like that for many years. Simple.

RE: Winter tyres - Uk catches up? - PhilSkill - 27-10-2011 11:27am

Good to know Very Happy So anybody know or got a reference to the stated Land Rover Recommended winter tyres for the Evoque? As the article clearly states the tyres must be the manufacturere recommended tyres!

RE: Winter tyres - Uk catches up? - Token - 27-10-2011 11:52am

The concept of winter tyres is completely new to me, I've never heard of them before. So, are there any negatives to winter tyres (presumably there are otherwise all tyres would be winter tyres!) and does the Evoque need them for an average English winter?

RE: Winter tyres - Uk catches up? - Big G - 27-10-2011 11:58am

(27-10-2011 11:27am)PhilSkill Wrote:  Good to know Very Happy So anybody know or got a reference to the stated Land Rover Recommended winter tyres for the Evoque? As the article clearly states the tyres must be the manufacturere recommended tyres!

http://www.roverguide.com/8890/2012-range-rover-evoque-oem-wheel-options/

RE: Winter tyres - Uk catches up? - vcruiser - 27-10-2011 12:48pm

I enjoy that all of you from the UK spell it ''tyre'' as opposed to ''tire'' in N.A

Winter tires are not extremely necessary if you have an AWD car, but they do work really well. In montreal, we have to have winter tires between Dec 15 and march 15 or else its a pretty big ticket.

Can't go wrong with Bridgestone Blizzaks

RE: Winter tyres - Uk catches up? - PhilSkill - 27-10-2011 12:57pm

Thanks BigG

A different set of options to UK wheels I see, In UK Style 4 is option pure and option Dynamic IIRC, doesn't really address winter tyres (or should I say tires) seems to suggest if it's the same size it's fine, but Winter tyres not often "V" rated, often only "H", which could be construed an issue by an insurer?

Token you should avoid using "Winter Tyres" in Summer (+7deg ish) as the temperature in summer will cause the softer rubber to wear quicker. I'm sure there's many other reasons, but most info is on the threads here.

RE: Winter tyres - Uk catches up? - Evoqess - 27-10-2011 06:08pm

Winter tires also have more road noise.

On a link from the Roverguide link I found the following info on winter driving:

6. Familiarize Yourself with Terrain Response. Cycle through all of the Terrain Response settings to make sure everything is working like it should. Refresh your memory of which setting is best used and when. Remember that the “Snow” setting isn’t always the best setting for snow! Sometimes you will want to consider using the “Mud” or the “Sand” settings if the snow is particularly deep or wet.

I'll try and remember that the "snow" setting isn't always the best in the white stuff! Guess it depends on which type of snow. Which brings me to rather interesting piece of trivia that the Inuit people have twelve different words for snow (contrary to the urban legend of there being hundreds). Smile