babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Real world mpg - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: Real world mpg (/Thread-Real-world-mpg)

RE: Real world mpg - RacingSnake - 02-02-2012 03:38pm

got it.
but hey, I didn't make the rules up in the US!!!!!!
and also you're absolutely right, and infact if you read my post I said 'we should', but then refer to my naivity comment if thats what you are solely basing your purchase on. That is all.

just to draw a comparison on this recent test of the panda 'twin air'...
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/276418/fiat_panda_twinair.html
One disappointment is fuel economy. Although the Panda has stop-start, which kills the engine when the car is stationary, we didn’t see more than 38mpg – well down on Fiat’s 72mpg claim.

Of course, though the addage stands... opinions are like @rseholes... everyone has one Smile

RE: Real world mpg - leveller - 02-02-2012 03:49pm

Hehe you're talking to someone who will be picking up an Si4 in 1.5 months. I'll be happy if I get over 25MPG ... according to LR I should be getting 32.5 combined ... so, yes I'm realistic. Do I expect companies to deliver on promises, hell yeah.

Wink

RE: Real world mpg - RacingSnake - 02-02-2012 03:51pm

and... Ironically I picked the SD4 for it's 'improved' economy over the si4 Laughing oh the irony Very Happy

RE: Real world mpg - J77 - 02-02-2012 04:22pm

[Image: ca5410dd.jpg]

Not a great photo taken on iPhone but the 50mpg (did reach 50.4 but when stopped it went down) fuel figure is achievable with the evoque (TD4 man) but you have to work at it not much fun but it can be done. This figure is based purely on the trip computer I haven't done any test to see how accurate it is. Happy with 48.9mpg, probably never see it again but I know it can get there.

RE: Real world mpg - alibeau - 02-02-2012 04:50pm

(02-02-2012 03:49pm)leveller Wrote:  Hehe you're talking to someone who will be picking up an Si4 in 1.5 months. I'll be happy if I get over 25MPG ... according to LR I should be getting 32.5 combined ... so, yes I'm realistic. Do I expect companies to deliver on promises, hell yeah.

Wink

What type of trips will you be doing?

I mainly do out of town driving in 30/40/50 mph zones to school with a shortish blast down a dual carriageway on the way to work, I am currently getting 23 mpg....... 1000 mile on the clock.... when I collected the car which involved a long stretch of motorway driving it was up at 26 mpg.....

Ali.
(02-02-2012 03:51pm)RacingSnake Wrote:  and... Ironically I picked the SD4 for it's 'improved' economy over the si4 Laughing oh the irony Very Happy

I am sorry to hear that........

RE: Real world mpg - Dave_T - 02-02-2012 11:24pm

(02-02-2012 03:27pm)RacingSnake Wrote:  lol, sorry, is that no, you don't know what I mean??

basically it's naive of someone to expect to attain the published figures.
And how do you know its misselling at +/-20% , it is entirely dependent on the way you drive and the conditions you drive in.

<<devils advocate mode off>>

Why would it be naive to expect something to do what it is advertised to do?
Landrover proudly proclaim that the SD4 manual can achieve 49.6mpg on the combined cycle. They do not state that this is an independant test result that they are legally forced to repeat. They state that it is their own estimate. This estimate is not accompanied by other disclaimers [in at least 3 of their adverts].

With other vehicles in the Landrover range it IS perfectly possible to match their figures. With my D3 I can exceed their figure quite comfortably (by +20%)

I can indeed (I was determined to achieve it!!) match the 49.6mpg - but not driving it in any way reminiscent of normal! Driving the same route (93miles) in the reverse direction at the same speed the next day gave 41mpg. In these conditions it should exceed the extra-urban figure (I would expect +20%)

All of that said...

I wholeheartedly agree that the outcome of that case is exceedingly distasteful. Totally wrong to continue driving it for years and expect the manufacturer to pay punitive damages. Typical american greed!

RE: Real world mpg - leveller - 02-02-2012 11:26pm

(02-02-2012 04:50pm)alibeau Wrote:  What type of trips will you be doing?

I'll be doing the same driving as you Ali, with an added few hour-long motorway trips per month.

RE: Real world mpg - Firenze - 03-02-2012 10:10am

(02-02-2012 04:50pm)alibeau Wrote:  I mainly do out of town driving in 30/40/50 mph zones to school with a shortish blast down a dual carriageway on the way to work, I am currently getting 23 mpg....... 1000 mile on the clock.... when I collected the car which involved a long stretch of motorway driving it was up at 26 mpg.....

Ali.[

My 5 ltr V8 Mercedes does 23 mpg on shortish runs and I got 30 mpg on a long motorway run (although only just), I ordered the Si4 as I was hoping to save on fuel but not so sure now and after reading about the 49 mpg achived by the diesel manual Im wondering wether I should change my order.

Im just put off by how slow the diesel felt when I drove the auto and the auto is supposed to be faster than the manual - im hoping if I can get 23 from my Merc then I can get 32 from the si4 which are both the average stated on the parkers review site

RE: Real world mpg - alibeau - 03-02-2012 11:40am

(03-02-2012 10:10am)Firenze Wrote:  My 5 ltr V8 Mercedes does 23 mpg on shortish runs and I got 30 mpg on a long motorway run (although only just), I ordered the Si4 as I was hoping to save on fuel but not so sure now and after reading about the 49 mpg achived by the diesel manual Im wondering wether I should change my order.

Im just put off by how slow the diesel felt when I drove the auto and the auto is supposed to be faster than the manual - im hoping if I can get 23 from my Merc then I can get 32 from the si4 which are both the average stated on the parkers review site

Hmmm it's a right old can of worms.... can't see you getting 32 but I hope I am wrong!!

Before I say anymore I need to remind myself that I AM happy with 23 mpg..

But knowing that your 5ltr Merc also does 23 mpg just seems crazy to me, how can that be possible?!? My last car (X5 3.0 Diesel) did 26 mpg and was quick enough for me. I knew that swtiching to petrol, even with the smaller engine would cost more to run and so based on that I am *reasonably* happy with my 23 mpg..... It is such a nippy fun car to drive, I can't worry about the mpg at the moment. I just wonder if/when the novelty factor of the car fades I will still be happy?!?! At the moment, I am so in love with my Evoque that my minor niggles have been completely cast aside......

I'm not going to change my style of driving, I am pretty sensible most of the time as I have the kids with me but I do like a little blast around when I get a moment to myself...... I'll be really interested to hear how you get on with your mpg but like you, after test driving the diesel and the petrol models I knew I had to go for the petrol version... it's a SUPER car Very Happy

Ali.

RE: Real world mpg - Firenze - 03-02-2012 12:14pm

The mpg from the Merc is what the computer says (so not sure how accurate) and I do drive steady most of the time until I get on a dual carriageway when I love to have a blast and pass all the slower cars which is why I love the petrol Evoque over the diesel but I really did want something with better fuel economy.

I too knew as soon as I test drove the petrol that it was the one for me but when you have to wait months doubt sets in

I guess the main reason I wanted petrol was because it will be fun to drive (like my girlfriends Cooper S auto with paddle gears) and after a few thousand miles and on a run driving sensible Im sure the si4 will return low to mid 30's but will still be loads of fun when you want it!!

Im sure I would regret changing to a diesel especially as it will now delay my order and after all life should be fun, and the fact that you are sooo happy with yours has helped me to stick to the si4