babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Best Discovery so far... - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: Best Discovery so far... (/Thread-Best-Discovery-so-far)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Best Discovery so far... - paulus599 - 02-12-2011 07:16pm

I thought most new cars have an anti-hijack function, i.e. the car will lock itself after driving off. I'm sure the Evoque must be the same, stand to be corrected tho.

RE: Best Discovery so far... - anton - 02-12-2011 08:36pm

Yes the car does lock automatically on reaching 10mph,but if your keys are say in the drivers door pocket will you be able to open it as with the keyless entry.I will test the outcome later.

Best Discovery so far... - Rossy100 - 02-12-2011 08:50pm

Please could someone test what happens if you take the key out of range without locking the car. Does it lock automatically after a period of time?

RE: Best Discovery so far... - fam1x - 02-12-2011 11:18pm

(02-12-2011 08:50pm)Rossy100 Wrote:  Please could someone test what happens if you take the key out of range without locking the car. Does it lock automatically after a period of time?

No it will not lock after a period of time.

RE: Best Discovery so far... - anton - 03-12-2011 01:33am

(02-12-2011 08:36pm)anton Wrote:  Yes the car does lock automatically on reaching 10mph,but if your keys are say in the drivers door pocket will you be able to open it as with the keyless entry.I will test the outcome later.
All good,i locked the mrs out of the car and she tried to get in the drivers door but it would not open,i had to unlock the doors to let her inWink

RE: Best Discovery so far... - Craig_d1 - 03-12-2011 06:55am

(02-12-2011 06:06pm)evoque_virgin Wrote:  Engine stays running, you can drive off but its says in the instrument cluster smart key not present (or found) can't remember which.

Not sure what happens about switching off once you've driven off from the smart key, never tried this.

I asked the dealer about this. If you drive off when someone else has the key, you will be able to keep driving until you run out of fuel. If you turn off the engine you just won't be able to turn it back on again untill you have a key present.
I know some smart cars shut down so if someone drives off the most you can get is a couple hundred meters before the engine cuts. This helps with theft(car jacking) and also if your passenger ges out with the key you are still hopefully close enough to get it back.
Would like this to be an option you could activate in the menu's. Where you could stipulate the amount of time before engine shuts down. This way if you did drive off and you passenger had the key you'd get a countdown and a chance to return to where you dropped them off, or an amount of time to safely park the car.
If you were car jacked I.doubt the car jackets would turn around and go back and ask for the key, they'd just abandon the car and at least you'd know it's relatively nearby.

RE: Best Discovery so far... - mark_n - 03-12-2011 08:03am

I managed to lock myself out of my 911 turbo by opening the front compartment remotely after unlocking the car but without opening the doors. Put the keys down, find what I want, close the lid and the car locks with the keys inside.

In my case, it was in Germany, miles from anywhere and I had to get my lovely neighbour to fly out the next day with the spare keys. Not good.

Sounds like the RRE is protected against this. The car has to be able to detect the presence of the key and determine if the key is inside or outside the car. From an engineering perspective, that is tough to do.

RE: Best Discovery so far... - olde - 08-12-2011 12:12am

As the Evoque is a titchy bit stingy with storage spaces, I usually store my key under the steering wheel. If just fits in nicely on top of the telescopic lock lever, but it is thus out of sight and out of mind. The Evoque has saved my butt a few times already, due to it being more intelligent than me.

RE: Best Discovery so far... - PhilSkill - 08-12-2011 01:08pm

olde, have you just solved the "where to put the key" question... no good if you have other keys hanging of course! but if it's on it's own...

RE: Best Discovery so far... - Token - 08-12-2011 01:42pm

(02-12-2011 05:41pm)DDX Wrote:  Test 5: does Token have faaaaar too much time on his hands?

Result 5: yes

Very Happy

Just kidding mate, thanks for sharing the info. Can't wait to make some of these discoveries myself

Ha ha...it is true...guilty as charged!