babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
SD4 Auto - Low speed throttle lag between 1.5K and 2K - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Technical (/Forum-Technical)
+--- Thread: SD4 Auto - Low speed throttle lag between 1.5K and 2K (/Thread-SD4-Auto-Low-speed-throttle-lag-between-1-5K-and-2K)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

SD4 Auto - Low speed throttle lag between 1.5K and 2K - moonigan - 28-11-2011 03:45pm

Hi folks I've noticed an issue that is starting to concern me and was wondering if anyone else has seen it. The issue is a big lump of lag between 1.5K RPM and 2K. The problem only appears to be an issue if the car is rolling at low speed and then you depress the accelerator. An example situation may explain it a bit better.

Approaching a roundabout/right turn behind stationary traffic. Cars in front make the turn or enter the round about and you creep forward to take your place at the front of the queue. A space appears before you come to a stop and you gently depress the throttle...........nothing happens, you press harder and then jump forward when the you hit 2K RPM. At this point the space that was there is not there and you have to jump on the brakes to avoid an accident.

I thought it was me but I discussed it with my wife and she knew exactly what I was talking about. Just to be 100% clear. If the car is stationary before making the turn this isnt a problem.

Cheers
Paul

RE: SD4 Auto - Low speed throttle lag between 1.5K and 2K - griff - 28-11-2011 03:54pm

I agree there is a slight lag but I have found that it is easily overcome by not jabbing the throttle but by progressive acceleration and releasing the throttle off slightly once you start to move towards 2000 rpm. Its a throttle balance issue which I got used to. I don't find it an issue.
Cheers

RE: SD4 Auto - Low speed throttle lag between 1.5K and 2K - Big G - 28-11-2011 03:55pm

(28-11-2011 03:45pm)moonigan Wrote:  Hi folks I've noticed an issue that is starting to concern me and was wondering if anyone else has seen it. The issue is a big lump of lag between 1.5K RPM and 2K. The problem only appears to be an issue if the car is rolling at low speed and then you depress the accelerator. An example situation may explain it a bit better.

Approaching a roundabout/right turn behind stationary traffic. Cars in front make the turn or enter the round about and you creep forward to take your place at the front of the queue. A space appears before you come to a stop and you gently depress the throttle...........nothing happens, you press harder and then jump forward when the you hit 2K RPM. At this point the space that was there is not there and you have to jump on the brakes to avoid an accident.

I thought it was me but I discussed it with my wife and she knew exactly what I was talking about. Just to be 100% clear. If the car is stationary before making the turn this isnt a problem.

Auto or manual or doesn't it matter?

Cheers
Paul

RE: SD4 Auto - Low speed throttle lag between 1.5K and 2K - paulus599 - 28-11-2011 03:55pm

That sounds exactly like the problem I had on my works van (transit connect). A definate hesitation, followed by a lurch forward as it eventually picked up revs. It was finally corrected by doing a throttle remap at the first service. Very annoying and a little dangerous until then tho!

RE: SD4 Auto - Low speed throttle lag between 1.5K and 2K - moonigan - 28-11-2011 04:03pm

(28-11-2011 03:54pm)griff Wrote:  I agree there is a slight lag but I have found that it is easily overcome by not jabbing the throttle but by progressive acceleration and releasing the throttle off slightly once you start to move towards 2000 rpm. Its a throttle balance issue which I got used to. I don't find it an issue.
Cheers

I dont think its a balance issue. There is a gap that you could drive a bus through that only appears if the engine speed is deaccelerating and then you put your foot on the gas. I dont drive the car that often so I tend to forget about it but I'm going to make a point of using the car this week to see if its something I can figure how to drive round.

Cheers
P

RE: SD4 Auto - Low speed throttle lag between 1.5K and 2K - paulus599 - 28-11-2011 04:08pm

(28-11-2011 04:03pm)moonigan Wrote:  I dont drive the car that often so I tend to forget about it but I'm going to make a point of using the car this week to see if its something I can figure how to drive round.

You shouldn't have to do that. This is a new car and if there is a problem you should have it repaired rather than having to find some sort of 'workaround'.

RE: SD4 Auto - Low speed throttle lag between 1.5K and 2K - griff - 28-11-2011 04:24pm

Paulus599 is right. if it a real gap then you should not have to work round it. My lag is just a matter of throttle control. Yours sounds more than that.

RE: SD4 Auto - Low speed throttle lag between 1.5K and 2K - moonigan - 28-11-2011 07:57pm

OK. I've just been out and tested it in manual mode and the the problem is much less apparent. I'll give the dealer a ring and see if they can have a look.

Cheers
P

RE: SD4 Auto - Low speed throttle lag between 1.5K and 2K - cjfp - 28-11-2011 08:12pm

Go for one of the cars with a stick in the middle!

RE: SD4 Auto - Low speed throttle lag between 1.5K and 2K - Evo-king - 28-11-2011 09:11pm

(28-11-2011 08:12pm)cjfp Wrote:  Go for one of the cars with a stick in the middle!

I have, but apparently it come off in your hand nowLaughing according to Philskill.