babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Switch from 18 inch wheels to 17 inch wheels to improve ride quality?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Having lived with my car for a few months now I am very disappointed in the ride quality of my 2014 9 speed auto Pure Tech Evoque 5d on the standard 18 inch wheels particularly on the patched and potholed city streets of my native Bristol. My recent switch from the standard fit 'all season' Pirellis to my 'Continental Winter Contacts' has not made much difference (I had hoped the softer rubber of the winter tyres might help but if anything the ride is marginally worse still on the winter tyres). I would have loved to have specced 'MagnaRide' but it was not available with the Pure/Pure Tech in UK.

I have noticed that many European spec Evoques come with 17 inch wheels as standard (and consequent deeper section tyres) and I am investigating purchasing a set of these wheels and tyres to try and fix the problem.

I've read on this forum of people switching from 20 inch wheels to 18 inches and getting a benefit so I thought there might be some benefit in gong for the 17 inch wheels.

Has anyone had an experience of the difference between 17 and 18 inch wheels or got any other help or advice?

Regards

Gary Davis
I can add my own question here for people that know.

Does changing the wheel size affect the odometer?. Shouldn't it register more or less miles than it really is doing?
Hi Javier

I can answer that one myself. No it would not affect the odometer because the outside radius of the tyre does not change but the inside radius of the tyre does change to fit the new smaller rims. (i.e. for every inch radius that you reduce your rim size you must select a tyre with a correspondingly smaller inside radius . Put another way you fit deeper tyres with a smaller rims. The outside edge or 'rolling radius' stays the same. Thus for one mile travelled the wheel tyre combination will still rotate the same number of times irrespective of the rim size. (Whether an Evoque has 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 or 22 inch wheels the odometer stetting can stay the same). Essentially you are just changing the point at which metal changes to rubber as you go radially outwards, the overall size of the wheel+tyre stays the same. And this is the point, because you have deeper tyres with smaller wheels, the ride should get better because rubber is more compliant than metal.

I hope I have explained this OK

Regards

Gary

(07-12-2014 06:11pm)JavierBayArea Wrote: [ -> ]I can add my own question here for people that know.

Does changing the wheel size affect the odometer?. Shouldn't it register more or less miles than it really is doing?
I have changed from 20" to 18" alloys. At first, I noticed a ride difference on the motorway. I can only describe it as bouncy, but it soon settled. I am guessing the Evoque learned itself, and adjusted accordingly!
I am happier with the ride quality with the 18 inch alloys wheels. It feels smoother, with the MagnaRide system. Also, I have noticed that the braking distance is improved.
Having gone from 20 to 19 for Winter, the only difference I notice is slight more bounce/movement, but this while creating a softer ride, does not exactly do what I would say is improving the ride quality as the stability is less and the feeling of it kangarooing over bumps is more present (this is all very slight as I think the comfort and ride quality are great on either size). I do have Magneride, so it may not be as obvious, but think the expense you will go to get 17"'s on may be a lot for very slightly softer/bouncier ride.

Generally Winter tyres are not going to improve ride, as there will be more movement and less feel from them, not to mention usually more noise.

What you may be experiencing is the short wheel base with high CoG and 4wd Weight over a normal family size saloon, depends what you are looking for.
I have a loaner 20 inch dynamic right now, i feel the ride is harsher than my 19 inch prestige. But i'm not sure if it's because of the tire size or the different suspension.
(07-12-2014 04:14pm)gjd10002 Wrote: [ -> ]Having lived with my car for a few months now I am very disappointed in the ride quality of my 2014 9 speed auto Pure Tech Evoque 5d on the standard 18 inch wheels particularly on the patched and potholed city streets of my native Bristol. My recent switch from the standard fit 'all season' Pirellis to my 'Continental Winter Contacts' has not made much difference (I had hoped the softer rubber of the winter tyres might help but if anything the ride is marginally worse still on the winter tyres). I would have loved to have specced 'MagnaRide' but it was not available with the Pure/Pure Tech in UK.

I have noticed that many European spec Evoques come with 17 inch wheels as standard (and consequent deeper section tyres) and I am investigating purchasing a set of these wheels and tyres to try and fix the problem.

I've read on this forum of people switching from 20 inch wheels to 18 inches and getting a benefit so I thought there might be some benefit in gong for the 17 inch wheels.

Has anyone had an experience of the difference between 17 and 18 inch wheels or got any other help or advice?

Regards

Gary Davis

I must admit I was somewhat disappointed initially with the ride quality of my Pure Tech on 18 inch rims but after 6 months and 6000 miles everything has softened up a little. Either that or I have got used to it! I would doubt that a change to 17inch rims would make a massive difference. I guess the Pirelli all weather tyres that are fitted as standard have a pretty stiff side wall. There may be a summer tyre that has a bit more compliance.
Thanks jitnec

I can imagine that with 18 inch wheels and MagnaRide things would be pretty good all round. That's actually what I wanted from the start but they would not let me order MagnaRide with the Pure Tech!

Note you comment about initial bouncy feeling to the ride which fits with other comments

I'll let you all know if I do go for the 17 inch mod and how I get on.

Thanks again, much appreciated

Gary

(08-12-2014 06:43am)jitenc Wrote: [ -> ]I have changed from 20" to 18" alloys. At first, I noticed a ride difference on the motorway. I can only describe it as bouncy, but it soon settled. I am guessing the Evoque learned itself, and adjusted accordingly!
I am happier with the ride quality with the 18 inch alloys wheels. It feels smoother, with the MagnaRide system. Also, I have noticed that the braking distance is improved.

Hi Phil

Thanks for your reply. I note the risk of getting a bouncy ride with the 17 inch wheels. Hoping that someone will have experience of changing wheel size without MagnaRide (which I wanted in the first place but was not allowed to order with the Pure Tech trim).

Interestingly my even my P38 Range Rover Vogue Mk2 with air suspension that I had a few years back suffered from a bit of 'jiggly-ness' at low speeds which was definitely a case of the seating position relative to the centre of gravity (in this case causing more side to side sway on rough roads at low speeds than you get with a normal saloon). So I appreciate your other comment about high 4WDs being different to normal saloons, and yes, the short wheelbase of the Evoque would also come into play.

Amyway, all your comments and advice much appreciated. If I do still go for the 17 inch rims, I will let you know how I get on

Regards and thanks

Gary

(08-12-2014 10:13am)PhilSkill Wrote: [ -> ]Having gone from 20 to 19 for Winter, the only difference I notice is slight more bounce/movement, but this while creating a softer ride, does not exactly do what I would say is improving the ride quality as the stability is less and the feeling of it kangarooing over bumps is more present (this is all very slight as I think the comfort and ride quality are great on either size). I do have Magneride, so it may not be as obvious, but think the expense you will go to get 17"'s on may be a lot for very slightly softer/bouncier ride.

Generally Winter tyres are not going to improve ride, as there will be more movement and less feel from them, not to mention usually more noise.

What you may be experiencing is the short wheel base with high CoG and 4wd Weight over a normal family size saloon, depends what you are looking for.

Thanks EG

Good point about the ride settling it after 6000 miles, there is bound to be an effect there. Nice to know that it's not just me who finds the Pure Tech ride on 18 inch rims a bit stiff.

I'll let you know how I get on if I do fit the 17 inch rims

Regards

Gary

(08-12-2014 11:48pm)Earl grey Wrote: [ -> ]I must admit I was somewhat disappointed initially with the ride quality of my Pure Tech on 18 inch rims but after 6 months and 6000 miles everything has softened up a little. Either that or I have got used to it! I would doubt that a change to 17inch rims would make a massive difference. I guess the Pirelli all weather tyres that are fitted as standard have a pretty stiff side wall. There may be a summer tyre that has a bit more compliance.
Check this post out. It somewhat discusses wheel sizes as well:

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Adaptive-Dynamics?

I feel I have the best combination of both worlds with 18" alloy, on Pirelli Scorpion tyres.
Mine is a Dynamic, so Adaptive Dynamics is full time on. Perfect ride on city driving especially over bumps. It's not too bouncy.
On the motorway, I put the Evoque on Sports gear selection, and on Dynamic Mode. It become a 'BMW'.

With all this in place, I really haven't missed driving with 20" alloys! Or a BMW! Hope this helps.
Reference URL's