babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: My first milestone
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Our first 10,000 miles...

[attachment=3740]

So, how'd it go??

I remember my first impressions were great, but the recurring theme on my early threads was a complaint about the mpg - I was sitting at 25-28mpg, which for a diesel I was pretty shocked with.
I took the 'well you don't by that sort of car for it's economy' with a pinch of salt, as tbh, I did, or I would have got the petrol version!!
Well, I can happily report that certainly within the past couple of thousand miles this has improved quite dramatically - we on average get 34-36, but I've had a 'best' tank at 38, with individual journeys coming in at the early 40's.... I am still a little amazed at just how bad the economy is when the engine is cold, typically 10-15mpg! and this is just pootling up to the motorway junction.

We've had 1 real issue with the car which was the battery drain issue, particularly annoying as it happened as we were collecting it after a holiday. We did get this sorted after 3 journeys to the dealer, but it was very very frustrating at the time to the point where I questioned the overall reliability of the car and it's 'fit for purpose'... this was after all our 'good' car.
Of course, with hindsight I was over-reacting! and since, we've not had anything more than a peep out of it Smile

I still love the drive & comfort, and with the suspension in 'dynamic' mode I'm still amazed at how a big (relative) car like this can hold the road. In Normal mode it's smooth and quiet, especially for a diesel, I've got no rattles or squeaks (maybe I'm lucky?!!), and it's a thoroughly nice place to sit.

I would however like a bit more poke in the engine, and once my warranty is up I'll get it remapped, that should sort out the rather annoying flat-spot at the bottom of the rev range which can cause an issue trying to pull out from roundabouts.

I specced this car up all the toys, and although I'd like to say I've used them all... I haven't.
However, must-haves (for me) are definitely the power-tailgate, exceptionally useful, much moreso that I thought. And I love the pano-roof, plenty of light coming in, and for night journeys, it's nice to close up and make the cabin more "cosy".
I have rarely, in fact I don't think I have ever? used the digital dual view TV (other than to show off Laughing ).
I do use the surround cameras, and I've played with the auto-park a couple of times, but I certainly wouldn't miss it if we didn't have it.

One notable point is the attention this car causes... even still now it gets looked at and I parked up at Kew the other week and a chap came up asking me about it, saying he'd only seen them driving past and never up close Smile so that was nice!
On the not-so-nice side, is that the car is believed to be the source of the breakdown with our neighbours!! Shocked As soon as we got the car conversations started to dry up, then about 2 months after we had it delivered one of the neighbours sprayed it (by accident) with fence paint - but more to the point, refused to pay to have it cleaned off, saying it was nothing to do with them.
Over a year down the line and things have not healed - in fact are 10x worse, and we've had it on good authority from other neighbours that they're is a case of the green-eyed monster.
But at the end of the day, I don't want neighbours or friends that behave like that anyway, so the sooner they all f*ck off and move the better Laughing

From a dealership perspective, well, convenience had played it's card against service for me....
We were very disappointed with our hand-over, which was here are your keys, the car is outside.! lol we agreed on a full tank of fuel, but it only came with a quarter saying that's all JLR would allow and perhaps more annoying for me was the lack of any freebies... even flowers for my wife who came to pick the car up with me.... we spent £45k on this car and they cheap out at the last moment... not what I expected!.
After 1 day I took the car back having spotted a chip/scrape on the bonnet, and they "as a goodwill gesture" resprayed the bonnet for me, I made it clear that I'm accepting it as an admission of liability rather than goodwill, as there is no way that the 50 miles I covered on day 1 that that happened.
We had the first service this year too, came in £400 if I remember, which sits pretty much at the top of the services prices across the country.
Annoyingly they're only 5 mins from my house, otherwise I would have gone elsewhere, and still might do for future services.

Anyway, I think if I were to summarise this car it is certainly the most comfortable, most luxurious car I've owned... not the fastest, and not the most fun, but it's a thoroughly nice place to be and I'd certainly be recommending the car to anyone who might express an interest.

I'm very much looking forward to the next few years with this car - but do now feel the need to buy a weekend toy Laughing
Reference URL's