babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: WTF - evoque's life-threatening quality
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[attachment=3677]

Last week while my lovely wife was driving with kids in the back on motorway - just at 75mph, all of a sudden steering wheel failed to turn - almost ran into a major accident. Fortunately all were saved by some mighty power. She wrestled with the steering wheel, cut through the traffic and finally able to pull over to the curb.... Bottom line, cant afford to keep this high-risk and highly unreliable truck anymore... Family's life is more important vs "status symbol". Perhaps this is the last visit to service shop.

I read some of you had steering wheel issue, not sure what was your feedback or outcome?. I'm looking into taking some serious action. Perhaps file a lawsuit at least.

Never seen such issue with any of the last 28 vehicles I owned in my life. Yes this is my first and last LR product. So long !!

[attachment=3678]
Wasn't there a recall for that?
Was this a power steering failure or complete steering mechanism failure?
(19-08-2013 05:57am)Biker Wrote: [ -> ]Was this a power steering failure or complete steering mechanism failure?

Probably power steering as she was able to steer with brute force. I am sure that this has occurred before and is mentioned somewhere on the forum
If power steering failure at speed, it is not the end of the world. It only when you become stationary or at low speed that it becomes difficult to operate. I drove a pick-up with much larger tyres and heavier than an Evoque for a month without the power steering pump working (linked via fan belt to aircon pump that had to be refurbished) and would not consider it "failing to turn". I gave up parallel parking for a while, but that was as bad as it got.
I had power steering failure on an old Rover SD1, not at speed but in a built up area, and went straight on at a junction I was turning right into as it was almost undriveable without power assistance! Also it takes you by surprise how much effort you need when not having power assistance, but you can continue once used to it.

Not nice for your other half on a busy motorway, hope it all gets sorted.
Reference URL's