babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Evoque or something else?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My husband and I have been car shopping and test driving a few cars in the last two weeks. But still waiting for a better time and better finances to support our purchases.

Having some second thoughts about the evoque and it's reliability. I know in a forum we tend to hear about lots of people's problems with their evoques. But one of the things most owners seem to want is better built quality.

Should we invest $75K+ on a possible dud (but a sexy one at that)? It seems to be abit of a russian roulette to get one with no problems. What really draws me to this car is how amazing it looks not just on the outside, but how good it also makes you feel on the inside. But is it worth spending that much and then finding out later you have problems with it?

We have looked at a few other alternatives. Non makes me feel as good as the evoque would, but the closest one is the VW Toureg. At least the quality of the interior reminds me of the evoque. The exterior, not as much. But generally, still very comparable, but more expensive!

On the cheaper end, we have also looked at the KIA Sorrento and the Hyundai Santa Fe which are actually the same cars as they both come out of the same factories so i have been told. The Kia seems to be my better xhoice out of the two. There seems to be a lot of vehicles now offering alot of options as standard in their ranges, but cheaper, where LR have kept theirs as extra options.

I have thought about BMW and Mercedes, but interiorly, they both look dull! Why would they build cars that look good exteriorly, but does not transcend interiorly? Haven't thought much about Audi yet, but it seems an improvement.

What are your thoughts?
All manufacturers produce some duds, that's what the warranty is for, be prepared to use it.

I saw the New KIA Sorrento at the Paris Motor show, and thought it is a good cheaper option until I looked at the price and they are getting comparable with a Pure!

I parked next to a BMW X5 or was it an X3 the other day they all look the same ugly outside, old fashioned inside.

Don't discount the Volvo either a good capable car although comparable on price.

Where you lose with the Evoque is space, don't be fooled by the boot space! it ain't large..

Test drive them all, look at your actual needs, be honest with yourself... then buy the Evoque regardless because you know you want it!
Touché...!
Can't say I have any issues with the build quality. It has a 3 year warranty which is extendable afterwards so surely that is some reasureance. I wouldn't buy any car of this cost without a warranty regardless of who made it!
I second that.....if you don't buy an Evoque you will always wonder......and wish you had!
To be honest. I have had no issues at all... IMHO the car is terrific. I bought the Prestige variant with a 5yr warranty. Have been driving it and loving it for 8 months...
Hi Leaf911. I ordered in Brisbane just the other day. I would say you need to be very careful making assumptions about reliability based on forums. Mostly you will only be hearing from people with a problem and not from the many who have had a positive experience. Having said that its always sensible to be cautious when making a big purchase.
All new vehicles have good warranties these days. My now 4 year old BMW had some niggles - nothing major - but certainly went back to the dealership 2 or 3 times in the first 7 or 8 months. Different people also have different expectations and tolerances. Some people won't deal with the most minor fault and make a lot of noise about it. Others will quietly live with it or have it sorted at the dealership so you won't hear about it on the interwebs.
Just buy what drives best and what appeals most to you. I think the Evoque is pretty hard to beat right now in its class.
Despite the technical issues, I do love driving the Evoque. In a sea of q5's and x3/5's, its just so much more special. Probably not the best way to choose a car is on reliability, you can and will always get a dud. My bro had a BMW that had to have 2 engine replacements for instance....

I test drove a Toureg, nice to drive but soooooo boring inside. I'm 35 not 65 Smile
(05-01-2013 09:23am)Urban Splash Wrote: [ -> ]I test drove a Toureg, nice to drive but soooooo boring inside. I'm 35 not 65 Smile

Bit of ageism here!

I am 60 and think the Toureg is boring inside, outside and to drive.

Despite the minor quality problems we had its the way it drives on the twisty undulating roads in our part of the world that has stopped us from selling on. The Dynamic version truly is in its element and never fails to impress passengers with its ability to corner level when most SUVs would be on two wheels and a door handle.

Tony
Thanks everyone, it has been very interesting reading everyone's point of view. You have somewhat renewed my faith in the evoque. Every time i see an evoque, i see it as a sign i will be getting one in the future. Today, I saw a firenze dynamic with a contrast white roof today. Only the second time spotting a firenze amongst the fujis. I would love to have a firenze dynamic with a contrast black roof! *sigh*
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's