babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: How deep had anyone managed to wade in their evoque SD4?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Am staying in a house cut off by a flooded drive. The manual says the Evoque will wade through 50cm of water. Has anyone tried this and is this claim conservative and can it do more. Any idea where the limit is and has anyone had a drowned Evoque disaster?
Not done it, but like you was told 50cm. This is a seemingly an official video

If you look around 58 seconds in, you will see how deep they go.

I've done far worse in a Defender, but I doubt I'd push the limits in my Evoque, when it arrives.

PS Have you waded through yourself yet to get an idea on depth?
Bit more info here
LR approved wading depth for the Evoque is 500mm, and for the Defender is also 500mm.
Wading depth quoted in the manual is for standing water, if the water is flowing the approved wading depth is lower as each cubic metre of water equates to 1 tonne pushing against the vehicle.

It is not just the position of the air intake which affects wading depth but also engine cooling fan, air conditioning compressor and other electrical components in the engine bay.

Recommended wading depth is to go no deeper than the top of the wheel (not tyre).
I asked this question on an experience day and the guys there said top of the wheel was actually the depth the Evoque could take and the air intake is level with the top of the wheel arch on the left hand side.

So max 24 inches but the book says just over 19 which I guess includes a safety margin.
Anyway any deeper and I reckon it becomes a boat!
(21-12-2012 06:22pm)MarkLondon Wrote: [ -> ]Not done it, but like you was told 50cm. This is a seemingly an official video

If you look around 58 seconds in, you will see how deep they go.

I've done far worse in a Defender, but I doubt I'd push the limits in my Evoque, when it arrives.

PS Have you waded through yourself yet to get an idea on depth?
Bit more info here

We've just been out to the flood but at the moment it's not nearly deep enough to test out the wading depth - my father's unblocked the drains too effectively! Video looks as though the bow wave gets to about 50cm but the water depth is probably quite a bit less. I'd love to see an official video of them maxing out!

My evoque is my second, this time with dynamic suspension, all season tyres and the automatic lifting boot for my wife (which I too have found very useful). it is ideal on the heavily rutted country lanes around here and also a revelation on traffic calming. Hopefully it will snow to test out ability here. I suspect the all season tyres will be much better than summer but no substitute for proper winter rubber.
(22-12-2012 10:45am)griff Wrote: [ -> ]I asked this question on an experience day and the guys there said top of the wheel was actually the depth the Evoque could take and the air intake is level with the top of the wheel arch on the left hand side.

So max 24 inches but the book says just over 19 which I guess includes a safety margin.
Anyway any deeper and I reckon it becomes a boat!

Thanks for post - very useful to know there is some margin there though other poster pointed out it's about other things too like fans and electrics. I won't be too ambitious going through fords, especially as other post about moving water is very relevant - amazing the power if it's not standing.
(21-12-2012 08:09pm)rchrdleigh Wrote: [ -> ]LR approved wading depth for the Evoque is 500mm, and for the Defender is also 500mm.
Wading depth quoted in the manual is for standing water, if the water is flowing the approved wading depth is lower as each cubic metre of water equates to 1 tonne pushing against the vehicle.

It is not just the position of the air intake which affects wading depth but also engine cooling fan, air conditioning compressor and other electrical components in the engine bay.

Recommended wading depth is to go no deeper than the top of the wheel (not tyre).

Thanks indeed. Top of the wheel is probably about 500mm so about right. What model do you have and have you gone off-road yet?
(22-12-2012 12:36pm)N.bev Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks indeed. Top of the wheel is probably about 500mm so about right. What model do you have and have you gone off-road yet?

Prestige SD4 Automatic which spends most of its life off-road.
Okay, this is an Si4 opposed to an SD4, but the official wading depths are the same. This ford was conveniently at pretty much the perfect official maximum depth (500mm) the other day, and so I made a quick video! It was brilliant fun and I expect the car could safely deal with another 100mm or so, as obviously Land Rover build some degree of margin into their recommended limit! The new L405 Range Rover's 900mm is, frankly, incredible. Apparently they wanted to make it 950mm, but decided against it as it starts to float...Laughing

During the local flooding in June, I had no choice really but to drive through a rather large puddle that was pretty much up to the top of the wheels.
All perfectly dry and no issues with the car after.
The bow wave on the front was my biggest concern so slowed right down and just kept the revs up and moved forward.
I was under at the deepest point for about 20 feet, the rest was only a foot or so deep.
They can do it, not that I would want to do that again tho in a hurry!!! Really felt I was pushing my luck
Reference URL's