babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Strange Occurance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I had this wierd thing with my engine this weekend.
Car in neutral, pressed cluch in, pressed start button and the engine started as though it was firing in the wrong sequence, it nearly shook itself out of the car. My wife who was outside the car said it sounded like an old truck and she could smell burning oil or something similar. Just as I was about to press the stop button the engine stopped by itself. I went through the start process again and its been fine since.
Anybody else experienced this or similar ?
I think I had something similar when my foot slipped off the clutch as I was pressing the start button. It was as if the car was confused and didnt know if the clutch was in or out. Only happened the once.
Certainly never had this, I have had a lot of noise when very cold which settles quickly, It sounds like the Engine synchronisation failed to synchronise correctly (the ordering of the ignition/injection to coincide with the correct Crank and Cam positioning) Although i'm surprised it fired at all, if this was the case the ECU would have probably detected it was wrong and stopped the engine. Might be worth mentioning to your dealer and seeing if there are any error codes... if you have time?
(05-11-2012 11:47am)peet Wrote: [ -> ]I think I had something similar when my foot slipped off the clutch as I was pressing the start button. It was as if the car was confused and didnt know if the clutch was in or out. Only happened the once.

Funnily enough i think I let the clutch up as I pressed the button. As you said I probably just confused it
Not a pleasant experience though
(05-11-2012 01:49pm)PhilSkill Wrote: [ -> ]Certainly never had this, I have had a lot of noise when very cold which settles quickly, It sounds like the Engine synchronisation failed to synchronise correctly (the ordering of the ignition/injection to coincide with the correct Crank and Cam positioning) Although i'm surprised it fired at all, if this was the case the ECU would have probably detected it was wrong and stopped the engine. Might be worth mentioning to your dealer and seeing if there are any error codes... if you have time?

I am booked in next monday for a couple of other things (bonnet not level, stiff gear lever, stop start not working) so I will mention this as well
Yes, had exactly the same, 3 or 4 times, sounds terrible as if only firing on 3 cylinders and shakes the car.
I just hit Stop and restarted, seemed fine. Thought I might ask them to check and see if it showed up when. I book in for service.
Am still having problems with the smartkey not found.
Regularly jump in and hit Start, smart key not found, tried holding under steering column near cut out, but wont work. Have to push lock, then unlock on remote and works fine. Any ideas anyone?
Definitely worth mentioning to the dealer, hopefully i'm wrong but it does sounds like it, but if it is incorrect synchronisation it really needs to be sorted out as it's not good for the engine, could be simply due to a bad/noisy crank/cam sensor or worse poor detection software in the ECU. Unless LR get reports, they wont know it's happening or how often.

I've had smart key not found a couple of times, and re-lock seems to do the trick, but been fine for quite a while now.
Reference URL's