babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: What Car Warns against 20" wheels
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What Car has published an article on the Evoque 5 door Diesel Dynamic and it warns against speccing 20" wheels and this is with Magneride.

"The Evoque’s ride is firm, but generally compliant, on the standard 19in wheels; we’d warn against speccing the optional 20in items."

The full article can be read here.
http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/range-ro...ive/258129
Whooo, that's gonna put the cat amongst the pigeons for some of you!! What to do, what to do ... just remember, don't panic.
I think... "meh". Bring on the 20"!!
(27-07-2011 03:23pm)Robbo Wrote: [ -> ]What Car has published an article on the Evoque 5 door Diesel Dynamic and it warns against speccing 20" wheels and this is with Magnaride.

"The Evoque’s ride is firm, but generally compliant, on the standard 19in wheels; we’d warn against speccing the optional 20in items."

The full article can be read here.
http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/range-ro...ive/258129

Yes, but have they ACTUALLY driven a car with 20" wheels. We can all speculate. If they had written "having driven both the 19" and 20" wheels would advise against 20" wheels .... then that would be different.
Agree, seems like speculation to me. Sometimes they just need to fill up the word count... Might as well fill it up with "useful" advice.
I do find it hard to understand why LR would make one complete model line (i.e. Dynamic) available with these as standard if they were a completely inappropriate wheel choice - it doesn't make sense. If they weren't a great choice dynamically then surely they would make them optional. As I've previously mentioned Top Gear (magazine) raved about the Dynamic off road and on ..... and they had a car with 20" wheels. Let’s hope we get some sensible comments back from Aberdeen and Gleneagles from people that have actually driven a car with 20” wheels.
Forget What Car. If the people writing for it were any good, they'd be doing something different.
The argument "LR suggests is so it has to be the right thing" is rubbish. They also suggest you consider a purple steering wheel and flowers on your dashboard. Moreover, the rest of the world decided 19" is better suited as standard equipment (only the UK and SA have the 20" wheels apparently).

If a car magazine says the ride is hard, then the magazine is rubbish? I don't know all of these UK magazines, but I think the opinion of someone who has actually driven the car is more valuable than all of us who are simply speculating. Even the Evoqueexpert said the ride is going to be hard. What do you really need in order to accept it?

Everyone has their own limit of course. Maybe Top Gear is used to stiffer, sportier cars anyway. For me the fact that some claim it's too hard, already means I need to be careful about it and better stick with the 19" wheels. Bring on the driving days. Please!
(27-07-2011 04:26pm)cjfp Wrote: [ -> ]Whooo, that's gonna put the cat amongst the pigeons for some of you!! What to do, what to do ... just remember, don't panic.

That's one of my choices I won't be panicking about (maybe the only one! Confused) I'm used to driving something with 19" rims and rubber bands where the tyres should be, so this wheel/tyre combo will fell like floating on air Very Happy
The point, I think, is they haven't driven a 20" version from the looks of things, and also possible not a version with AD.

They are speculating. I'll reserve judgement, especially since the 20" tyres aren't actually particularly low profile.

Most importantly, top gear liked the 20" version with AD and I would rate that opinion more highly than what cars blind guess.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's