babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Rattle - back to the dealers?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
My car seems to have developed a rattle in the cabin somwhere around the dash. Its started to do my head in. Its a bit odd in that some days it seems to do it all the time, others not so much. I have tried putting body pressure on various pieces of trim whilst its rattling to try and identify the source bu have failed.

Now should i take the car to the dealers about it? I have two major worries about doing this, firstly that i wont be able to replicate the rattle to show them and secondly that whilst trying to resolve one rattle they might unsettle other bits of trim and cause further rattles!
I have same problem and agree that it should go back to dealer, but i also worry about them pulling the dash to bits and making it worse!

Would be good to hear from anyone who has had dash rattles fixed successfully.
From fooling myself that i might have had a perfect car i have a bloody rattle from the rear, think its coming from the nearside rear somewhere. Its got 2800 miles on it but i don't drive it regulary, the wife does and doesn't notice it at all so will see in time whether i bother going back to the dealers.
ED, I too have developed a rattle from the dash, I have traced mine to the bottom of the A piller where the trim meets the dash. When I apply pressure to said area it stops, in doing so I noticed that there is a gap, maybe 10mm, where the A piller trim should line up with the dash topper. So going to the dealers tomorrow but don't want them to pull the dash to bits and create more in the process.

4 months of perfect ownership and then bang LRs famous build quality issues arise. Hasn't put me off the car or the brand though.
AD209 See below, i have copy and pasted my post, from the poll thread ''Do you have a rattle or two?'' ... http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Have-you-...two?page=2 ....maybe this is your rattle?

''benzina wrote :

This particular rattle (friction really) that you speak of, may very well be the other one i had, but it's easily detected and fixed. (I did not include it in my rattle vote because i found it, and fixed it quickly and easily).
Easy test and detection. 
Whilst driving along,i pressed and exerted pressure against the base of the A-pillar trim, it immediately stopped, so i knew i found it. You can also get a very small rubber wedge (like a really small door stop) to stick in the gap there as a temporary tester. 
I urge everyone who hears a friction like sound or rattle coming from around this area, to do the test. 
My fix worked. 
I carefully sprayed some silicone synthetic lubricant using the small tube supplied with the can, down the join gap line,and the base where the A- pillar trim meets the window (not to much). 

I have NOT heard any friction noises from the A pillars ever since,so this tells me it's either coming from the gap where A-pillar trim meets the dash top,or where the Base of the A-pillar trim touches the windscreen.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My one and only actual rattle (like a wire tapping against metal), is at the left rear corner of the car, and it will be going in this week as a third attempt at fixing it. Hopefully third time lucky, and i can undo my one rattle vote, and put it in the "I had a rattle ,but they fixed it'' column".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the left side or right side?
(04-06-2012 03:09am)slee18 Wrote: [ -> ]On the left side or right side?

Mine was mainly on the drivers side (RHD here), and occasionally on the left. Both were intermittent,with the drivers side being worse,hence the quick and easy find.
@ Benzina - This is the rattle I have as I tried yesterday pressing the join with my finger, good to know there is a simple fix.
(04-06-2012 02:45am)benzina Wrote: [ -> ]''J77 Wrote:
I have just developed a rattle from where the dash meets the trim on the A pillar, other than that it is fine''

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AD209 See below, i have copy and pasted my post, from the poll thread ''Do you have a rattle or two?'' ... http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Have-you-...two?page=2 ....maybe this is your rattle?

''benzina wrote :
''This particular rattle (friction really) that you speak of, may very well be the most common one of them all, due to the build and design of this specific area....but the good news is thats it's easily detected and fixed. I know this, because i had that too. (I did not include it in my rattle vote because i found it quickly, and fixed it easily.
Easy test and detection.
Whilst driving along,the moment i pressed and wedged my finger into the gap join line (to help temporarily separate the panels from the friction), it immediately stopped, so i knew i found it. You can also get a very small rubber wedge (like a really small door stop) to stick in there as a temporary tester.
I urge everyone who hears a friction like sound or rattle coming from around this area, to do the test.
My fix worked.
First, i carefully sprayed some silicone synthetic lubricant using the small tube supplied with the can, down the join gap line (not to much).
Then i got some telephone line wire, and pushed it (using a screw driver end) down and all along the gap line to help separate the surfaces (join gap line) further apart. I made sure i left enough telephone line wire out at the door opening end to hang onto, and then simply pulled / slid it out this end.
I have NOT heard any friction noises from the A pillars ever since.

My one and only actual rattle is at the left rear corner, and the car will be going in this week as a third attempt at fixing it. Hopefully third time lucky, and i can undo my one rattle vote, and put it in the "I had a rattle ,but they fixed it'' column".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be honest i dont think thats where the rattle is coming from but i shall try your suggestions on my way home from work today! thanks.
(04-06-2012 09:00am)J77 Wrote: [ -> ]@ Benzina - This is the rattle I have as I tried yesterday pressing the join with my finger, good to know there is a simple fix.

Great to know you found it J77...this is half the joy. Now,hoping the fix works for you too,as it's easy,and non invasive.

(04-06-2012 11:48am)ED209 Wrote: [ -> ]To be honest i dont think thats where the rattle is coming from but i shall try your suggestions on my way home from work today! thanks.

Process of elimination at least, but hoping this is your rattle ED209, cause it the easiest to find and fix.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's