babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: OMG!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So the big day had arrived to pick up my RRE Dynamic in Orkney grey with black panoramic roof. I also decided on roof bars for our mountain bikes. Having read the threads on this forum saying how tricky the roof rails were to fit I decided to let my dealer fit them. When I spoke to the service manager he also acknowledged that they were tricky to fix.

So on my way to collect my car I got a call from LR salesman (not with his usual cheerie tone) I'm afraid we have a problem...

Whilst fitting the roof rails doing up the final bolts the wrench the mechanic was using broke and he slipped and scratched and dented the roof! Now don't get me wrong accidents happen, and they told me straight away. But upon further investigation I noticed more damage on the boot where they had removed the Evoque badge. Now this was just to much. The roof dent an accident, but the boot damage, just laziness and poor workmanship!

So I left the garage in their Evoque demo until my car is fixed (at least two days) after a seven month wait this feels like an eternity.

So the mechanic who damaged the roof came out and apologised personally, but no sign of the valet person who removed the badge.

So on to the compensation, first offer a free service, try again, roof rails and fitting free + service, better, but let's see when the work has been done.

Not the new car experience I was expecting...Crying
Oh dear not good hopefully all will be right for you
Refuse the car... Roof damage is not acceptable... Actually only just the roof damage can lead to Cat D status.
(24-05-2012 12:14am)invoke Wrote: [ -> ]Refuse the car... Roof damage is not acceptable... Actually only just the roof damage can lead to Cat D status.

And have the most awful wait all over again? That's a bit tough to take, if it was me anyway.

Look I think you should stick with your current approach. But really push them very hard indeed when you pick it up finally as this really is something quite unusual and obviously unacceptable; you could really be in line for anything, free serving for more than just one trip, extra LR offroad vouchers, premium carpet mats etc. Push them as this is not only a massive inconvenience but damage to your new car. You are more than applicable for compensation.

Perhaps try to get something objective proving what went on. There is always the chance in a week, a month etc you will get a rattle or a creaking and this could be an excellent bargaining chip if it's anything close to the roof.

Makes you wonder if this happens and that you don't get the honesty you've had though...
(24-05-2012 01:14am)evoquemayne Wrote: [ -> ]And have the most awful wait all over again? That's a bit tough to take, if it was me anyway.

Sure enough. Your choice.. You can live with damaged car and sell it in pennies at the end.. I don't know how it works in UK, but in Canada and US car history is well documented. We get a very poor return on repaired cars.

To me wait is worth it or get something comparable. My choice X3 ofcourse.
Even more controversial. The X3...comparable?!

Just kidding, no, you're probably right. You'll need the patience of a saint in my opinion though. Although, I think in this case, it would appear as though the damage is minor and superficial so perhaps it's not necessary to reject the car.
I have friends at a few dealerships in my area (not LR) & your be suprized at how many new customers cars have bodywork done before delivery.
Not caused by the factory, but from transport or dealer workshop/storage damage.
If the roof could have been resprayed in time for your delivery, you would be non the wiser Sad
Sorry to hear about the problems with your car.

The issue with the roof rails is not so much fitting them, just 8 screws, but to get the whole thing looking right. In particular, the replacement trim pieces through which the mounting brackets project do not sit as well as the originals. Also, the trim pieces which fit under the rails at each end are difficult to fit without unsightly gaps and rely on the vertical positioning of the roof rails being just so.

In particular, when you get your car, check the inside edge at the back where the trim pieces have a tendency to bulge outwards. Overall, it's not a great design.

The correct tools to use are plastic pry levers to remove the existing trim, a towel to protect the roof from the "other" end of the rail and a proper Torx T20 screwdriver which is the most reliable way of doing up the screws. Using one of those socket set with Torx "bits" is asking for trouble.
(24-05-2012 07:46am)doug Wrote: [ -> ]I have friends at a few dealerships in my area (not LR) & your be suprized at how many new customers cars have bodywork done before delivery.
Not caused by the factory, but from transport or dealer workshop/storage damage.
If the roof could have been resprayed in time for your delivery, you would be non the wiser Sad

Firstly, thanks all for the support! You are right about the unknown damage to new cars prior to customer pick up. The Sales Manager admitted as much that this happens, and had mine happened a week or more before I received it, the repair would have been done without my knowledge!

I just hope this is not the start of a turbulent relationship, My wife has previous in this department, she was asked not to come into the local Porsche dealership anymore without prior invitation from them because of ranting in the dealership about their ineptness to resolve problems.

So wow betide any rattles in the future...
(24-05-2012 09:23am)Ironsfan Wrote: [ -> ]... My wife has previous in this department, she was asked not to come into the local Porsche dealership anymore without prior invitation from them because of ranting in the dealership about their ineptness to resolve problems.

Laughing My wife has a similar rep at our local BMW dealership but they responded differently; after her last rant - including her driving over the Technician's foot as she left - they contacted me and said "please take your wife to your favourite restaurant and send us the receipt" I was very happy with the £140 meal on them. Cool
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's