babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Grinding sound -
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Starting the evoque and speeding up I get two grinding sound at half second interval when I reach around 15 mph. The double faint grinding sound only happens when the speeding up the first time when the engine was started from a stopped engine. It doesn't happen if vehicle comes to a stop while engine is running but only happens when engine is started from a stopped engine.
Its very faint but you can feel slight tingle underneath the foot when pressing the accelerometer and happens everytime And only the first time when engine is started from stop and you speed up and between speed of around 15mph. (and no ots not the auto lock for the doors sound)
Anyone else?
(15-05-2012 04:59am)evQ Wrote: [ -> ]Starting the evoque and speeding up I get two grinding sound at half second interval when I reach around 15 mph. The double faint grinding sound only happens when the speeding up the first time when the engine was started from a stopped engine. It doesn't happen if vehicle comes to a stop while engine is running but only happens when engine is started from a stopped engine.
Its very faint but you can feel slight tingle underneath the foot when pressing the accelerometer and happens everytime And only the first time when engine is started from stop and you speed up and between speed of around 15mph. (and no ots not the auto lock for the doors sound)
Anyone else?

I have this too. It tends to happen a bit more when you're going through a covered parking lot (maybe cause of the echo - I don't know).

I have no idea what it is and I've had a fair share of issues with my car already and I can't be bothered finding out what it could be. In my eyes, if the car still moves I'm happy enough now cause I don't fancy going in to the dealer every 2 weeks anymore.

If anyone else knows what it could be please let me know.
(15-05-2012 05:19am)chiggy Wrote: [ -> ]I have this too. It tends to happen a bit more when you're going through a covered parking lot (maybe cause of the echo - I don't know).

I have no idea what it is and I've had a fair share of issues with my car already and I can't be bothered finding out what it could be. In my eyes, if the car still moves I'm happy enough now cause I don't fancy going in to the dealer every 2 weeks anymore.

If anyone else knows what it could be please let me know.

I also hav this sound when first moving off,it doesn't always happen but when it does I first thought I was dragging something under the car and got out and checked... It doesn't effect the running of the car once the sound has passed... Taking the car in sat morning for them to look at but can't see how they'll find anythin as it doesn't always do it,hav put up with it do far as this car I'm driving has to be replaced as the order was wrong so it won't be mine perminately anyway.....
(15-05-2012 08:09am)aspen Wrote: [ -> ]I also hav this sound when first moving off...
would probably be the electronic parking brake unwinding...?

Which I dont think is the same as the OP issue if its happening at 15mph.
(15-05-2012 08:23am)RacingSnake Wrote: [ -> ]would probably be the electronic parking brake unwinding...?

Which I dont think is the same as the OP issue if its happening at 15mph.

that's only when you change it from P to any other mode not when you're actually driving. The one when driving is another sound. not as loud actually but can still hear it.
i have had that sound since i owned mine. It sounds like the haldex engaging or disengaging to me. I was gonna borrow a gopro camera and see if I could record it happening and see if it is actually the Haldex doing it.
I have a similar grinding noise but mostly when I engage reverse and am turning, for example backing into a parking. It doesn't happen all the time, probably about 80% of the time.

My Freelander used to do make the same "clunking" sound but it's far more pronounced on the Evoque.
Reference URL's