babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Engine noise from Cold Start
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Been having major issues with the noise..

Its intermittent and been to Farnell Leeds on a few occasions and still not rectified.

To add farnells have tried to located the noise but it has to be cold for this noise to happen and it never when it in the garage

Any ideas what it could be ?

Darren
(27-04-2012 10:23am)caseaddict Wrote: [ -> ]Been having major issues with the noise..

Its intermittent and been to Farnell Leeds on a few occasions and still not rectified.

To add farnells have tried to located the noise but it has to be cold for this noise to happen and it never when it in the garage

Any ideas what it could be ?

Darren

It sounds a bit like a belt slipping followed by something metallic just catching. Maybe, when the engine warms up, something moves sufficiently to allow a gap where something rotating just contacts when cold. Have you shown Farnell the same video?
Hi

Yes they have seen the video as i have many.

This has been going on for 6 months and had many visits to Farnell but as yet we can't locate the issue.

Its also a case of when they have had the vehicle this noise won't happen.

I have contacted Range Rover Customer service team and they are trying to locate a loan vehicle so they can take the evoque and keep it till they can locate the problem.

It sounds like engine noise but I'm not a mechanic and unsure.
Sounds like a normal diesel when cold to me...it's under warranty so don't worry about it.
It does sound like a belt slipping ... a minor version of the big noise you hear on older cars with that problem.
Hi

First diesel car to be fair but surely it should not sound like this on cold start.

Darren
(27-04-2012 10:43am)caseaddict Wrote: [ -> ]Hi

First diesel car to be fair but surely it should not sound like this on cold start.

Darren

In that case, you may be more worried than necessary, as most diesels sound like a bag of nails when cold, and that part of what you can hear on the video is normal. However, I do think there's an additional underlying noise that shouldn't be there (the belt-slip or metallic contact I referred to above). I certainly don't hear anything like that with my SD4 engine, although the sound with the bonnet up isn't exactly sweet music!
A cold diesel noise is sometimes referred to as a 'bucket of spanners', after starting the alternator is under load to lift the battery voltage back up and power all the car systems - sounds like the poor chap is kind of busy...
The noise is fairly bad to the point of the neighbours complaining.

Its going to Farnells today and told them i don't want the car back till this is sorted.

Will keep you posted and thanks for your help
Mine sounded like that last week. I unscrewed and removed the plastic over the engine [2 screws at front and a small nut rear right of cover]. Check and 'jiggled' the foam engine cover that sits beneath the plastic one, refitted the plastic cover and all was well again. Don't try to take the foam cover out as it is a PITA to get back in, just make sure that all the foam 'drops' [and you'll get what I mean when you see it] are seated between all the metal bits that are supposed to be between.
Oh, and all was fine after that.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's