babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: 3 door versus 5 door used prices
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, just a relatively quick flick through the Autotrader and it quickly became apparent that coupes seem to be advertised for sale much cheaper than five doors, especially in standard specs despite their premium at new. Just thought it was worth mentioning. Any thoughts?
The new premium is of course completely artificial and, if anything, the coupe will be cheaper to make than the 5 door. Where it's done with other manufacturers (eg Golf), the difference is a few hundred with the 3 door being cheaper. I assume LR charge a premium because it is more faithful to the LRX concept which leads to the more dramatic styling.

When it comes to secondhand prices, the 5 door is bound to retain more value because of the better practicality - it appeals to a much wider demographic. I'm afraid the hopeless rear access in the coupe has in any case been enough to kill sales and secondhand values. How Land Rover ever thought it would be OK, I have no idea, somebody was seriously asleep on the job.

I did wonder whether the coupe might be killed off at some point.
Looking at the polls, fully 82% of people here have gone for the 5 door and I would not be surprised if the figure was higher overall - people choosing a coupe are more likely to be car nuts and participate here.

At some point in the past, someone from LR suggested a 50:50 split or at least 2:1. Err... No.
Not sure about the Prestige and Dynamic models but the Pure coupe has electric seats which is a £900 option on the 5dr which kind of justifies the dearer price.

Regards
Stevie
Of course the Coupe's will be rarer to find second hand if the ordering profile is that much swayed to 5dr...
Has anyone seen it appear in Glass's guide yet?
Less doors, less money at trade in.
Just exchanged coupe for 5 door otherwise same spec. Coupe not practical and apart from the obvious the front doors are too big. 5 door feels much better all round. So long term I think that the 5 door will have better residuals when all the initial hype has subsided.
(21-03-2012 10:12am)DT Wrote: [ -> ]Just exchanged coupe for 5 door otherwise same spec. Coupe not practical and apart from the obvious the front doors are too big. 5 door feels much better all round. So long term I think that the 5 door will have better residuals when all the initial hype has subsided.

I suppose it depends on your needs whether you go for 3 or 5 doors. I find my coupe doors quite small compared to the doors I had on my Audi A5, they were huge
(21-03-2012 10:12am)DT Wrote: [ -> ]Just exchanged coupe for 5 door otherwise same spec. Coupe not practical and apart from the obvious the front doors are too big. 5 door feels much better all round. So long term I think that the 5 door will have better residuals when all the initial hype has subsided.

+1 Surprised
Reference URL's