babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Pure with Style 5 19" Alloys & 20" style 6 - Help!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, Having attending the Manchester GMEX Event on Friday I am now in two minds regarding the size of wheels for my Pure. I had orginally spec'ed 19" Style 5, but was going to change to the 20" before the final build, as I feel they fill the arches better and are also easier to clean.
The main issue is that the LR product guy at the show said that the 20" will not be very effective offroad. Whilist I dont attend going major offroad, the ability to drive in snow or on a wet field is my reason for changing from a BMW.

Whats your opion on the 20" wheels working well offroad and does anyone have a picture of a Pure in white with 19" Style 5 and 19" style 6??
If you are after easy-clean wheels then the 19" Style 5 are the worst; to many spokes to get in-between. Go for the Style 3 or 4. As for the 20" Style 6, they'll be fine for the minor off-roading you have suggested. Just remember the less rubber you have between the wheel and the ground, the greater the chance a pothole or rock could damage the rim.
This was one of the dilemma's I had, however I've gone for the 20" due to the fact they look fantastic. Must admit I dont expect to go offroad in it though so it didnt take long to make my mind up.

I was probably more concerned about whether the ride quality was going to be compromised unduly on the 20" rims. I was at the Manchester event yesterday and wasn't told anything that makes me overly concerned.
The Dynamic comes with 20" as standard and I was told by one engineer at an event that the car along with adaptive dynamics rode absolutely fine in most conditions and was fine for soft roading. I would imagine serious off-roaders would maybe have another set of tyres when needed.
So do we conclude that for "softroading" the 20" wheels will be ok?
(06-06-2011 01:59pm)Alex Wrote: [ -> ]The Dynamic comes with 20" as standard and I was told by one engineer at an event that the car along with adaptive dynamics rode absolutely fine in most conditions and was fine for soft roading. I would imagine serious off-roaders would maybe have another set of tyres when needed.
I always thought that 19in were standard on the Dynamic? - the one on display in Manchester was fitted with 19in wheels not 20Confused
20" standard on the Dynamic Smile
Regarding the wheel size in reference to going off road, I think the type of tyre has to also be taken into consideration, most tyres irrespective of wheel size (18", 19", or 20") are probably designed for mainly on road use (better performance and grip). However with wheel size Audi do 20" Alloys specifically designed for off roading (must serve a dual purpose). So saying that I would imagine not all 20" wheels would be a no show when it comes to going off road, and being a 4x4 nothing to extreme off road must be taken into account. (Funny a bit like push bikes you have mountain bikes, road bikes and Hybrids. Hybrids are designed to go down dirt tracks, grass paths and on road commuting, but doesn't give you the same performance as a mountain bike or road bike - I would see the midi-SUV in the same category).

I have not looked at the online Evoque manual regarding driving off road but perhaps there may be information on there. However the Evoque has been promoted as having excellent off road capabilities compared to it's midi-SUV competitors. So I would assume there must be something somewhere that advises the owner on suitability of going off road vs tyres/wheel size.

In reality based on the demographics the vehicle is being aimed at, I imagine there will only be a very small percentage that will take their Evoques off road.

A bit about tyres:

'Original Equipment tyres (OE) – Tyres fitted to 4x4 vehicles by the manufacturer are usually designed for 80% on road and 20% off road use. They provide driving comfort and good grip and are suitable for those who use their 4x4 vehicles predominantly for on-road travel, as original equipment 4x4 tyres have only limited off-road ability.

High Performance 4x4 Tyres -  The newest high performance SUVs and 4x4 vehicles, such as the BMW X5 are fitted with these tyres. High performance 4x4 tyres are very similar to high performance car tyres and provide good grip and road holding. However as they are designed for 95% on road use they will not provide much safety and comfort if you venture off the road'
Reference URL's