babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Spare Wheel Option
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Out of curiosity is/has anyone choose the spare wheel option?

It states that it replaces the tyre repair system - Any idea what the tyre repair system comprises of?

Would the spare wheel compramise any stowage space in the rear, or with weight?

In the last 2 years we have had the unfortunate luck with 3 punctures of which no-one had our 19" 235/45 tyres in stock (appears to be an issue with most Kuga owners who have chosen the 19" upgrade, with waits of up to two weeks or more).

So I was thinking to choose the spare based on that, but if the tyres are a standard profile readily available then I will not bother with the spare - (I have 20" style 6, 245/45).
I decided not to go with the spare, just because of the space issue really. I'm sure the spare would be hiden away under the boot trim, but from what I'd seen at the NEC you would then loose that little storage space that's under there.
It's will also be a skinny temporary wheel (18" steel), so if there are any problems with getting hold of the tyres then you wouldn't be able to run the car on it for very long anyway.
I'm guessing that the repair system will either be a repair foam, or a foam and plug in compressor (similar to the systems Audi, Mercedes etc. have).
Same here: no spare wheel for me. The extra space underneath the boot will come in handy.
I've gone for this option as I do a fair bit of motorway driving so it had to be a must for me.
Spare for me.
The standard kit is one of those repair foam jobbies. Don't fancy being in the middle of nowhere waiting for the AA when a wheel gets shredded. Like Evoqueboy spend a fair amount of time on motorway as well and had two flats in the last four years. Run flats on my Beemer worked a treat but looking forward to "proper" tyres.
I've gone for it too. To be stuck on some remote road in the pouring rain with a torn tyre that the gunk in a can can't fix is not my idea of fun. OK you could wait for the RAC but I would rather sort myself out and be on my way.
I've also gone with it. I don't really need much boot space and do qite a few motorway miles.
I need the bootspace, but dont do a huge mileage so generally never too far away from home. Bottle of gunk for me.
Surely the actually load space is not comprised by the addition of the wheel? Would it not exist beneath the boot liner in perhaps in an enlarged space other than what i have seen aleady being the tyre repair kit space?

I have ordered the stowage rails and if the load floor is compromised by the spare wheel then it would have been noted in the options. In terms of loadspace I'm not to fussedd what's beneath the boot liner/floor matt.

Only issue I have is how easy is it to get the existing wheel off to replace it with the spare, if it's straight forward and the wheel nuts have not been placed on with that much torque then fine.

When our wheels were replaced on our Kuga the rapid fit mechanic had problems removing our wheel and said this was due to the wheel being on to tight since factory fitted and if I had a spare there would have been no chance I could have done it myself on the side of the road (that has sort of scarred me in thinking how viable changing a wheel is).

The cost of the wheel is nothing so it's a more to do with what space is compromised and how easy is it to change a wheel.
The load space is uncompromised, but there's a big added space underneath the boot floor, easily accessible with a handle.
This space would accomodate the spare wheel but it will provide quite some extra space if you don't order the wheel.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's