babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Pure LED/Xenon sidelight/headlight combo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quick question about Pure headlights/sidelights.

I’ve not specced xenons so we’re expecting an LED sidelight (not the ‘signature’ strip ones of course) plus dipped beam halogen headlights. This morning I saw a pure with the ‘standard’ LED Pure sidelights but with quite a piercing headlight beam. Perhaps not quite as bright as a xenon light but I thought it was very bright non the less.

My question, can you or could you (I think early specced cars may have been different) get a ‘standard’ xenon without the signature LED lighting on Pure cars? I wonder if it was that I saw this morning or whether it was just a halogen bulb.

Hoping it was the standard halogen as I was pleasantly surprised. Whilst I like xenons it’s an expensive option on a leased car as you basically have to pay the cost of option over the lease term (as the lease company don’t see any re-sale value in such an option being specced).
What you probably saw was std halogen where the owner has replaced the halogen bulb with an upgraded one - some are available from Halfords.

Check out this thread:- http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Anyone-up...e-Halogens
The LED daytime running light/sidelght is the same thing with non xenon. When performing a DRL function they are about 3/4 as bright as the dipped beam (unless you are indicating when the appropriate DRL dims to the brightness of a normal sidelight so that other road users can clearly see the indicator. When you select sidelights or dipped beam they both dim to a level of a conventional sidelight.

I suspect this is the same as a Xenon headlight equipped car, except the DRL function is performed by the fancy LED ring rather than a single LED bulb[/u]
(08-02-2012 01:38pm)cjfp Wrote: [ -> ]What you probably saw was std halogen where the owner has replaced the halogen bulb with an upgraded one - some are available from Halfords.

Check out this thread:- http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Anyone-up...e-Halogens

Thanks. Will look into getting such a bulb. Whilst may not be possible to completely replicate a xenon it would be nice to match the white LED sidelight with something whiter (and still legal!)...

(08-02-2012 01:43pm)BFGEvoqueMan Wrote: [ -> ]The LED daytime running light/sidelght is the same thing with non xenon. When performing a DRL function they are about 3/4 as bright as the dipped beam (unless you are indicating when the appropriate DRL dims to the brightness of a normal sidelight so that other road users can clearly see the indicator. When you select sidelights or dipped beam they both dim to a level of a conventional sidelight.

I suspect this is the same as a Xenon headlight equipped car, except the DRL function is performed by the fancy LED ring rather than a single LED bulb[/u]

It was definitely the dipped beam bulb which was the bright white light and nothing to do with the LED bulb, which I'm aware is to the outside of the dipped beam unit. When it came past me I clearly saw both LED sidelight (which also performs the DRL operation) in addition to the headlight unit illuminated.

As a side, we have a non LED A5 with DRLs which are seperate to the sidelight, i.e. when the headlights come on, the DRLs go off, and a different sidelight bulb is illuminated...
Perhaps they were delivered like the dipped beam on my car - adjusted by a monkey during the PDI. Day 1, the lights came on (naturally the stealer was shut) and I had to pull over and stop. I had to drop the dipped beam by over a 1m when parked about 10m away from a wall just to get the lights on the road!!
Not the best photo, will take another when it gets dark.
Halogen (yellowish)
DRL/sidelight (blue tinge)

[Image: 4540bb0b.jpg]
(08-02-2012 03:32pm)J77 Wrote: [ -> ]Not the best photo, will take another when it gets dark.
Halogen (yellowish)
DRL/sidelight (blue tinge)

[Image: 4540bb0b.jpg]

Thanks – really appreciate that. The bulbs I saw this morning were much whiter in comparison to those halogens yet as I said, had the LED side/DRLs like yours so must have been an aftermarket bulb replacement.

Be keen to see if BFGEvoqueMan can put a pic of their ring xenon max up for comparison.
be patient - i will see what i can do tonight
(08-02-2012 05:08pm)BFGEvoqueMan Wrote: [ -> ]be patient - i will see what i can do tonight

Any luck getting a pic BFG?
Interesting J77 you have halogens but with projector... Most the US spec have different assembly without projectors. This could settle the signature lights thread saying halogen from LR was misleading!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's