babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Paint issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know there's an existing related thread but I couldn't find it using search

Just spotted this thread on detailingworld from a couple of evoque owners (both Fuji) with very thin paint issues.

I'm guessing it's easier to see the black plastic through thin white paint than some other colours but I'd suggest everyone check your cars carefully. It's conceivable that this is limited to Fuji which is the only non metallic colour and may not have a clear coat hence very thin paint.

That said these cars are all painted by machine so I would have hoped they would have consistent paint from car to car.

Does anyone know if the bumpers, spoilers etc come pre-painted from their suppliers?

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/sh...p?t=247650
Wow - the photographs in that DW thread are shocking!
there is a thread on here showing photos of the factory & a human being painting an Evoque.
Happily the paint - on the bumper at least - on my Orkney Grey seems reasonable in terms of thickness. My labrador managed to scratch the bumper yesterday after a walk; I wasn't quick enough with the boot liner flap before she jumped and she gouged the bumper deep enough to look and feel quite nasty. Shocked

However despite the apparent depth it didn't go down to base coat and I even managed to polish most of it out with a scratch remover. In fact, I'm confident I'll be able to make it disappear altogether with a couple more applications by hand as it is already smooth enough not to be detected by my nail.

I did notice a poor bit of finish this weekend where the wheel arch on the passenger side meets the bonnet though; quite nasty orange peel and overspray. It's something I'll point out to LR for future remedy but I'm no hurry at the moment.
(23-01-2012 04:32pm)Coolbanana Wrote: [ -> ]Happily the paint - on the bumper at least - on my Orkney Grey seems reasonable in terms of thickness. My labrador managed to scratch the bumper yesterday after a walk; I wasn't quick enough with the boot liner flap before she jumped and she gouged the bumper deep enough to look and feel quite nasty. Shocked

However despite the apparent depth it didn't go down to base coat and I even managed to polish most of it out with a scratch remover. In fact, I'm confident I'll be able to make it disappear altogether with a couple more applications by hand as it is already smooth enough not to be detected by my nail.

I did notice a poor bit of finish this weekend where the wheel arch on the passenger side meets the bonnet though; quite nasty orange peel and overspray. It's something I'll point out to LR for future remedy but I'm no hurry at the moment.

I think mine has the same orange peel issue - also OG. Will try to get a photo.

Sorry to hear about the rear bumper!

(23-01-2012 04:20pm)The Valeter Wrote: [ -> ]there is a thread on here showing photos of the factory & a human being painting an Evoque.

Yes I commented on that - There is also a photo of a robot painting a body shell. It looks like the person is painting on a contrast roof because that car is mostly covered up.
Not in a position to comment on the paint... But there is a chap on there claiming 30% off list for an ex-demo?! Really?! Circa 10-15k off for a 60 mile car, i think not! Sorry! Lol
I have noticed thin paint around my front fogs on my Fuji car!
The orange peel issue is common with modern water based paints on a lot of manufacturers, blame the environMENTALISTS for it.
(23-01-2012 06:45pm)RacingSnake Wrote: [ -> ]Not in a position to comment on the paint... But there is a chap on there claiming 30% off list for an ex-demo?! Really?! Circa 10-15k off for a 60 mile car, i think not! Sorry! Lol

Yep, I've asked him how he managed that. I have a senior connection at LR who told me the demo and display cars would be auctioned to the dealers to re-sell so unless they have a connection at LR I can't see how that could be.

I did notice a poor bit of finish this weekend where the wheel arch on the passenger side meets the bonnet though; quite nasty orange peel and overspray.

Mine is the same on the drivers side, only shows up under a sun gun.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's