babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Faults from a grumpy old man...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So...I have now covered 2,000 miles in the Evoque and I absolutely love it...I stand by previous statements I have made that says the Evoque is the best allround car ever made based on the cars I've driven (I don't have the car history that some on here have (i.e. Mark_n, Spiderman etc) but I have enough to be a fairly decent judge.

But...I enjoy being grumpy and as such I am going to be picky and find fault...here goes...

1. The foot-rest comes out too far which means I end up putting my foot between the brake pedal and the foot-rest, not as comfortable as it should be
2. The ambient lighting is pretty poor...not enough impact...especially the lighting behind the centre console, when you're sat in the car your leg covers the space and means you can't even see it
3. The buttons on the steering wheel feel cheap and the sound they make when you press them is deeply unpleasant...the soft touch buttons on the Disco steering wheel are much better
4. Given that the touch screen interface has limited configurability, why are the three main options on the home page the same as the buttons to the side of the screen...pointless
5. Switching between AM and FM channels is just too hard to figure out
6. Catches on the front seats to enable access to the back are a little cheap...metal would have been better
7. the Range Rover badge on the steering wheel is low-rent
8. There should be a HUD...surely not hard to do
9. The climate control should be link-able...I don't like having to change both when I should just be able to change one
10. No electric height adjustment on the passenger seat...why not...just don't uderstand
11. The centre armrest should have a 2 part open option...shallow top section and deeper bottom section...fairly common these days
12. It should have fold down armrests as per the other Range Rovers...I know its a different driving postion but I am now forced to twist my body a little if I wish to use the armrest
13. Reversing camera takes too long to come on when you select reverse, frustratingly slow
14. Front seats are too slow to move forward for rear passengers (I know, this is an old one)

So...there you have it...the best car in the world, and still a heap load of improvements required...
You've left one out. The nets on te back of the seats. Very cheap looking and will start sagging once my kids have kicked them enough. Much prefer the leather(ette) pockets on the range sport.
Hmmm...hadn't even noticed them to be honest! Added!
I have noticed most of them. Like you say, little niggles and its nit picking really!

Another one to add to the list - the fur lined door frames attract fluff! Mine are covered in fluff from my Christmas jumpers lol

Also, there doesn't seem to be enough cubby holes. The ones in the door are too low down for me to use when driving, as is the area behind the console. Once I have a drink in the holder there isn't space for anything else!
Token

I thought I was the archetypal grumpy old man, and I think I have met my match.

I will add another, the headlight dip switch is far too stiff, even compared with the Freelander.
Lets be perfectly honest,its not cheap.....but some of the materials/switches etc are.....especially when compare to a FFRR.I know its half the price almost but still,its a RR!
(21-01-2012 12:33am)DynamicRRV Wrote: [ -> ]Lets be perfectly honest,its not cheap.....but some of the materials/switches etc are.....especially when compare to a FFRR.I know its half the price almost but still,its a RR!

Yes but it is also nearly half the size too!
Other than the 4 led 'ambient' lighting a bit of a poor gimmick and the passenger seat height adjust i've not noticed the others at all, and no passenger yet has noticed that!

Oh I did notice the plasticy seat handles on the coupe at the Live event, they really let it down and made me look harder at the quality of the rest but then I bought a 5 door anyway so doesnt have these!

Trouble is to make it light they have to compromise somewhere, if it wasnt light (almost toward modern saloon car weights) it wouldn't have that stunning mpg... Oh Wink
For me, I like it a lot and I will buy another but will probably choose the dealer very carefully. Things for improvement on the next face-lift for me are:-

1. Most important by someway is to change the auto-gearbox for the eight speed or at least something that does the job a lot better.
2. The rear parcel shelf is annoyingly difficult to relocate once removed due to clips being fractionally too short.
3. Ambient lighting, whilst a small thing, needs to be improved the door lights are barely noticeable.
4. More up-market buttons and facia as there's a little too much hard plastic around the main info / satnav screen. Same with the full beam stalks.
5. Should be a flat load-bay with seats folded.
6. Should have a a sliding seat to allow larger boot or larger passenger compartment when required.
7. Exterior grey plastics to be paint treated.
8. Agree whole-heartedly with comments regarding rear cam, which is a great camera, just a bit slow to operate.
(21-01-2012 12:33am)DynamicRRV Wrote: [ -> ]Lets be perfectly honest,its not cheap.....but some of the materials/switches etc are.....especially when compare to a FFRR.I know its half the price almost but still,its a RR!

fully agree....

(21-01-2012 11:41am)ytshome Wrote: [ -> ]For me, I like it a lot and I will buy another but will probably choose the dealer very carefully. Things for improvement on the next face-lift for me are:-

1. Most important by someway is to change the auto-gearbox for the eight speed or at least something that does the job a lot better.
2. The rear parcel shelf is annoyingly difficult to relocate once removed due to clips being fractionally too short.
3. Ambient lighting, whilst a small thing, needs to be improved the door lights are barely noticeable.
4. More up-market buttons and facia as there's a little too much hard plastic around the main info / satnav screen. Same with the full beam stalks.
5. Should be a flat load-bay with seats folded.
6. Should have a a sliding seat to allow larger boot or larger passenger compartment when required.
7. Exterior grey plastics to be paint treated.
8. Agree whole-heartedly with comments regarding rear cam, which is a great camera, just a bit slow to operate.

....and fully agree.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's