babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Push button start question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was at the event at Earls Court at the weekend. When sitting in the vehicles you could press the push button on the dash to power up the car.

I forgot to ask or look while I was there but does anybody know how the engine is started with the key - I know you press the push button but does the key/key fob have to be semi-inserted somewhere in the dash, steering column?

In our car (ford) we have key less entry and push button start. However the key acts as a sensor to start the car (as well as unlock the doors), I wasn’t sure if the Evoque worked on the same principle irrespective if you choose, or didn’t choose the key less entry option.
you don't have to insert yhe key in any hole. You just have to have it.
@selespeed - I think you may be wrong. Unless you order keyless entry as an option then it needs to be inserted
(22-05-2011 08:39pm)cjfp Wrote: [ -> ]@selespeed - I think you may be wrong. Unless you order keyless entry as an option then it needs to be inserted

Pretty sure selespeed is right. Keyless start is standard. Keyless entry is not.
I stand corrected.
Seriously? I want keyless start but think keyless entry is a bit of a gimmick. If that's so I could take keyless entry off my order and save myself £500!

But, the keyless entry option states: "The Range Rover keyless entry system enables effortless entry and start , so you can get away quickly without fumbling for keys".

Surely the technology for the car to detect the keys would work for both entry and start, so I'm still thinking that, without keyless entry, you'll need to pop the keys into the steering column.
Ah - hopefully some confirmation. Under "Push Button Start":

"For your convenience and for a quick, easy departure, this starts the engine, without the key being docked in the vehicle".

I guess I was wrong. I'll be phoning my dealer and removing keyless entry - I don't really see the point in keyless entry (all entry is keyless these days really - just press the button from within your pocket).

Glad this thread was started!
Selespeed is right. Keyless entry is a huge security risk. Keyless start not so much.
So it could be true that the technology is not the same / much cheaper for the keyless start.

I've asked this question here a couple of months ago, and people told me it's the same in RRS / FFRR.
With our Ford (key less entry/start) when we park the car on our drive and parked near the front door - if I have left the car keys in my coat hanging inside the house on the coat stand the sensor is strong enough to open the boot (this is because we have to reverse our car in and boot is always about a few feet from the door entrance).

So in terms if security I always have to remember to leave the key a good distance from the vehicle.

Another problem with keyless start has been either me or my wife accidentally stranding each other if one of us has had the keys in our pocket and being dropped off somewhere leaving the other one in the vehicle without a key - basically you just can't turn the engine off otherwise it will not start if it can't sense the key.
(22-05-2011 10:38pm)Alex Wrote: [ -> ]Another problem with keyless start has been either me or my wife accidentally stranding each other if one of us has had the keys in our pocket and being dropped off somewhere leaving the other one in the vehicle without a key - basically you just can't turn the engine off otherwise it will not start if it can't sense the key.

That is a really, really good point! Never thought of a scenario like that.
(22-05-2011 10:38pm)Alex Wrote: [ -> ]With our Ford (key less entry/start) when we park the car on our drive and parked near the front door - if I have left the car keys in my coat hanging inside the house on the coat stand the sensor is strong enough to open the boot (this is because we have to reverse our car in and boot is always about a few feet from the door entrance).

So in terms if security I always have to remember to leave the key a good distance from the vehicle.

Another problem with keyless start has been either me or my wife accidentally stranding each other if one of us has had the keys in our pocket and being dropped off somewhere leaving the other one in the vehicle without a key - basically you just can't turn the engine off otherwise it will not start if it can't sense the key.

This happened to me and my wife with our Kuga. I had the key in my pocket, wife was driving and just pushed to button to start as usual. I got out in a hurry and she pulled away.... I had the key in my pocket still. To be fair, the dash does tell you that 'key is not detected', too late though, I was on the train and away.....
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's