babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Rear view camera
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
All those lucky people who have their cars, and have the rear view camera fitted, can you let me know if it is worth spending the money to have this fitted as I have got the front/rear sensors on mine on order, but wanted the opinion of those who have it fitted, is it really a good and practical option or could do with out it, and rely on the rear sensors.
It's so slow to display on startup that I'm off my drive before it's even displayed.
Unless LR update the speed with a software fix then for me it's useless
I initially didn't use mine and still rarely look at it but do find it useful parking in my garage as I've got some low boxes that otherwise would be invisible to me and the camera allows me to get really close.

The parking sensors are fine but the camera allows for greater accuracy. Not had any issues re speed of it working either - seems quite quick to me.
I think it's essential and should be standard equipment. Once you get used to it and learn to use it that is.

It is a little slow to start up but mine certainly is very usable and completely overcomes the very small porthole of a rear window!
I think it's great, and yes there is a bit of lag when you select reverse (I have an automatic) but that has not put me off, it's only 2 seconds and it's not as if I'm in a get away and can't wait.
it is useful...but slow and I can't understand why, same as the satnav on start up...it shouldn't be. But get the camera, you will regret if you don't in my opinion.
With the small rear window, its very convenient to see objects not in visual field with the cam. Its the matter of safety not confidence, especially when you have moving objects (kids pets etc).

Another use of cam is for paranoids who drive in high traffic cities like NYC where traffic is bumper to bumper.... you can override and turn on the cam while driving. Smile

Its a must for all cars I believe, and I agree the response time is very slow (unlike my Caddi and Chrysler), take a some time to switch screens.
Great if you're reversing in or out of a tight space like a garage with your mirrors folded.
Thanks folks for all your opinions and views, I think I get what you are all saying and will get them fitted, will speak to the LR dealer and spec them for the build when ever that comes around. Thanks
(10-01-2012 05:11pm)johnboy Wrote: [ -> ]All those lucky people who have their cars, and have the rear view camera fitted, can you let me know if it is worth spending the money to have this fitted as I have got the front/rear sensors on mine on order, but wanted the opinion of those who have it fitted, is it really a good and practical option or could do with out it, and rely on the rear sensors.

I posted a similar question some time back. See attached responses.

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Rear-Camera-some-advice
Reference URL's