babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Cancelling HDD sat Nav
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(21-12-2011 09:57am)gibbyd Wrote: [ -> ]Hi
Am thinking of cancelling the say what you see HDD sat Nav.
My question is if I have a Pure will it still come with a 8 inch screen if I do and can you play movies from stick on it.
That crosswire mod from Brazil looks interesting.

You can't play movies off usb without the nav./tech pack.

What's the crosswire mod?
Frankly im impressed with the sat nav too, I like the way the screen splits in 2 to give you near and far junction views etc and live motorway junction lists, and the way it interfaces on the command screen too, ok the menus are a bit odd in places but its nice built in rather than sucktioned to windscreen.
(21-12-2011 10:24pm)LP Wrote: [ -> ]I like the sat NAV. People who have bad things to say about it can't be using it right. I find it really clear and helpful and easy to program. I wouldn't be happy having an aftermarket sat nav stuck to the screen. Doesn't look right in what is meant to be a luxury vehicle in my view.

I know it is more hassle and expensive to upgrade the maps but it isn't a huge deal on a £35k-£50k car is it?

Granted, it's easy to use. But I think it's lacking in features - its just a digital map.

For example, it doesn't show speed limits (which it must know to accurately estimate the ETA?), it often picks the longest route, it doesn't have 'avoid roadblock' and 'travel via' options and the TMC automatically assumes it's better to take the diversion whereas staying in the traffic may be quicker.

I also REALLY miss the way Tom Toms zoom in as you slow down at junctions etc and then zoom out as you speed up.
If this wasn't a work car - I wouldn't shell out $3400 AUD for Sat Nav.
But Im a travelling sales rep and live in my car, so an inbuilt sat nav is a must have.
Don't like aftermarket as you have to have them plugged in , messy cables. Slow to start up, burglary risk and the police are starting to crack down on placement and usage of non inbuilt sat navs.
Have tom Tom on my i phone and an audio jack plugged at the mo in my Audi. It works a treat on aux setting, the lady can shout the way loud and clear even playing music, so I thought why bother spending that kinda money.
(22-12-2011 01:26am)dandavis1 Wrote: [ -> ]Granted, it's easy to use. But I think it's lacking in features - its just a digital map.

For example, it doesn't show speed limits (which it must know to accurately estimate the ETA?), it often picks the longest route, it doesn't have 'avoid roadblock' and 'travel via' options and the TMC automatically assumes it's better to take the diversion whereas staying in the traffic may be quicker.

I also REALLY miss the way Tom Toms zoom in as you slow down at junctions etc and then zoom out as you speed up.

SatNav technology varies considerably from manufacturer to manufacturer if you want to get really blown away take a look at the HDD Audi systems with 3D terrain mapping/buildings or the 3790t Garmin devices.

However that really isn't the point - the HDD based navigation system in the Evoque is more than just a digital map isn't it? Is it not also the hub for the audio/video system too? It's integrated - no 'toad' sitting on the dashboard or wobbly device hanging off the windscreen. It probably isn't perfect and that'll be fixed with a software update or too I'm sure.

Now on to your why doesn't it know the speed limits if it can calculate the ETA. Actually geo-mapping data is bought in layers of map detail and yes one of those is the statuatory speed limits. However that's said from an ETA calculation point of view that's of little use in central London where the speed limit maybe 30mph but it is unlikely to be achieved very often. Another layer of data shows the known average speed between fixed points - that Nav system will be adding up those that are in the route sections to calculate the ETA.

TMC is an interesting one - given the way the data is derived it is a little removed from real-time howver I reckon (from bitter experience) that there is 50/50 chance of getting caught in traffic on the original route nowadays as a lot of people have TMC enable satnavs so you could change routes and just be in another queue...

If you like TomToms then buy one - I did read that loss of market share is hitting their business so they need your custom or better still buy the Garmin mentioned above (my wife has one for her DS3 and it is simply stunning).
(22-12-2011 01:26am)dandavis1 Wrote: [ -> ]Granted, it's easy to use. But I think it's lacking in features - its just a digital map.

Unless the Nav has changed substantially from my FL2, then it can be set up to auto go into split screen as u approach a junction - one half as norm and one half zooms in ion the junction and also has a junction 'countdown' bar

(21-12-2011 10:24pm)LP Wrote: [ -> ]I like the sat NAV. People who have bad things to say about it can't be using it right. I find it really clear and helpful and easy to program. I wouldn't be happy having an aftermarket sat nav stuck to the screen. Doesn't look right in what is meant to be a luxury vehicle in my view.

I know it is more hassle and expensive to upgrade the maps but it isn't a huge deal on a £35k-£50k car is it?

I had this impression as well, people are complaining because functions are lacking but then it turns out they just didn't find them.
In some areas it's probably just a little difficult to adapt to, but isn't this the case with every new system?

I think maybe you haven't looked at all the settings because it does split the screen as you approach a junction zooming in on the junction on the rhs, the lhs remains the original map, it also shows the junction briefly on the centre of the instrument panel inbetween the speedo and rev counter. You have the choice of 3 routes for each journey, each having up to 3 green leaves next to them to determine how 'green' each route is so set which route you prefer. There are settings to prefer ( so asume also avoid) certain things e.g motorways, and the tmc can be turned off. I have only used it a couple of times but I think it is brilliant! I believe it also has a POI which I haven't tried yet.
I had a chance the other day to try my iPhone sat nav software, and I have a solar-attenuated windscreen, all seemed to work fine. Will up date more when I get back of my trip away. I can understand that having all the important info from the built in system right in front of you between the dials would be of great use. And having a exturnal device kind of ruins the look of the clean lines of the dash. But in Europe this extra was another almost 2000 euros. And I had to stop somewhere on the extras.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's