babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Keyless entry scenario question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all

I have seen the various posts on keyless entry.... But have thought of a scenario in which it could be particularly useful. Would appreciate thoughts/confirmation on whether this will be possible.....

Imagine the scenario..... Wake up to find car frozen up. Usually plan would be to go out and get engine running and wait in cold whilst car warms up and defrosts. Can't go back in the house as keys need to be in car and bit of a hassle to start searching for the spare key to lock the vehicle.

(you can probably see where this is going now....)

So what if with the RRE you start the engine running and then lock the door from outside. Presumably if you then go back in the house the engine will remain running (and heated windows etc.), but as the key is more than 1m away no one else will be able to open the doors? Can then enjoy breakfast in the warmth whilst the car defrosts itself?!!

Possible?
And someone nicks it!
Ha. I wouldn't take my eyes off it through window.... But at least could do from the warmth of the kitchen!
Not sure about keyless entry but as far as keyless start is concerned....

With my 5 series I can start the car, and take the key back in the house having locked the car.
This is not possible with the Evoque. The car will not lock using the key if the engine is running.

BMW 1 RRE 0
With my 5 series I can start the car, and take the key back in the house having locked the car.
This is not possible with the Evoque. The car will not lock using the key if the engine is running.

BMW 1 RRE 0
[/quote]

Thats a safety feature of the Evoque then, i wouldn t want my car in the drive running even if it was locked.Land Rover think of everything.Laughing
My car will not lock with the key on the seat even without the engine running, I actually use this feature when washing it to save it locking and unlocking from the hose pipe water splashing on the door handles.

PEte
(07-12-2011 10:32pm)bell-auto-services Wrote: [ -> ]My car will not lock with the key on the seat even without the engine running, I actually use this feature when washing it to save it locking and unlocking from the hose pipe water splashing on the door handles.

PEte

Great idea, gonna do this next time. I just experienced this yesterday.
A radical idea I know, but have you considered driving it to warm up?

Direct injection diesel engines are so thermally efficient that it would take about 1hr or stationary running to reach its operating temp. You have heated seats and windscreen fittted so you will have a roasting bum in about 90secs (assuming they are as good as those in my FL2) and a frost free windscreen in about 60 secs. The PTC heated will force electrically heated warm air into the cabin after about 2 mins of turning the engine on.

Why risk your insurance and why waste fuel? Such things are illegal in Germany and would result in a heavy fine (environmental reasons)IdeaIdea
(08-12-2011 10:21am)BFGEvoqueMan Wrote: [ -> ]A radical idea I know, but have you considered driving it to warm up?

Why risk your insurance and why waste fuel? Such things are illegal in Germany and would result in a heavy fine (environmental reasons)IdeaIdea

SafetyRolling Eyes

Frost + 2 kids + wife + driving into rising sun = lots of condensation and no visibility
It's not going to cost me anything like it would have to have added the heated windscreen.
AT least if you have the key and the car get nicked, you don't have to explain to insurance that you actually gave it to the thief on a platter? Idea
Reference URL's