babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: HELP - Dealer pressure to pay for vehicle now when collecting in Jan 2012!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey there one and all

So, got the best call today saying it looks like our car is going to be ready to collect next week (having suddenly been brought forward from a build in Mid-Jan! Keep the faith people!)

However, the bad news, we are away and unable to collect until Jan!!! GUTTED

The dealer says we have to pay now but i don't know how this will effect our Rights as a buyer to get things changed etc if there are any of the problems we keep reading about on this forum

Can anyone help advise us on our rights??

Many thanks in advance
Is car at dalers for u to view? Don't pay before viewing

Is it on time or late as per original dates? If late, then tell them they'll have to wait as it is not a per original delivery date (and as it's been suddenly 'brought forward' tell them the same)
(02-12-2011 08:43pm)cjfp Wrote: [ -> ]Is car at dalers for u to view? Is it on time or late? Tell them they'll have to wait.

Its late from what they originally quoted (mid Nov) but then, like many other people, it slipped and slipped and slipped.

As soon as they said December to us, we said they would have to wait until Jan as we would be away, and this was never a problem for them...

...now the car is arriving next week, and we have reiterated we will collect in Jan, they have said we need to pay before Jan to ensure paperwork etc.

I thought we gave the money when we were happy with the vehicle...and taking it home. I dont like the thought of it being paid for, and then sat in a public carpark (as thats where the dealer said it would be sat Sad - i think / hope thats him trying to use emotional pressure for us to take it away so he hits end of year figures.....!)
Name and shame! Ask to speak to dealer principle and, if a large chain, get regional mgr involved if necessary. Likewise, pm user Nick@LR to see what LR Customer Svcs say - I'm sure they'll be on your side (but in the end u will have to transfer money in advance at some point unless u r paying by debit card, just not this far in advance!)
Theyre trying it on surely! I'm sure they'd like to have it paid for now but if it's shifted from te date they quoted you I can't see why you have to pay before you collect.

I paid for my car after viewing it and it was registered and taxed in less than 30 minutes while my sales person took me through the car controls etc.
Tell them you have planned financially around a jan delivery date and you simply dont have the money now to pay, if this is not enough tell them to go forth and multiply. They are trying it on.

I have always paid cash for cars (well bankers drafts) and have never once been asked to pay before taking posession of the car. Its always been done on collection, once i have checked the car over.
That sounds like the your salesman has got his sales manager up his wotsit and is trying to do another unit in this month and optimise their bonus....of course that never happens.... yeah right!

Ideally you want it registered on the 2nd of January as the year of registration significantly effects the future value of the car by many hundreds of pounds - registering the vehicle in December does the dealer a favour but not you.

I'd be suggesting to the dealer that:

1) You want it registered on the 3rd of Jan

2) And that you will either organise a bank transfer (in advance) on the 2nd of Jan as a gesture of good faith.
To be honest it depends on the conditions of your customer order.
It is likely that when you order the car you become liable for payment on delivery as part of your contract. If you expect the car and it is late you should still have the facilities in place to fufill your contract.

Check your paperwork as you should with any transaction before signing an order.
What a load of tosh. How can you pay for something when you are not here? How were you to know that this would be the case given all of the delays encountered by all Evoque purchasers? Then out of the blue you car is ready.

This strikes me as either the dealer is trying to push his targets up at your detriment, or as has been mentioned today by one of our members, car cannot be picked up from the dealer even though the customer has paid for it until Land Rover get their money!!

Maybe this is the same, but today is the first time I've come across this and I've bought quite a few brand new cars.
Thanks everyone for all your thoughts and advice....will have a chat with the dealer on Monday and see what can be done!!!!

One GREAT thing to know is that holding off until January will help with the resell value....not that we have any intention of selling this baby for a long time considering how long we've awaited it's arrival - can not wait to get behind the wheel and join the club!
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's