babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: 2wd vs 4wd
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys,

Another silly question.

I was just wondering why they made the evoque in a 2wd?
I thought all 4x4 were 4wd but obviously not.
Has anyone ordered a 2wd and what were your reasons and vice versa for the
4wd owners.
I suppose where i live (london)i never really have to go off road but its always nice to have the choice especially if there is any snow this year or a trip to certain parts of england.

Thanks.
And I've been told that a 2WD with winter tires is better on the snow than a 4WD with summers on the snow (especially braking). So imagine a 2WD Evoque showing a 4WD with 20 inchers how it's done in some white stuff!
I suspect a lot of people just like to buy the "most" vehicle they can afford - thinking that they really do need all the features even if they may never use them!
I purchased the 4WD because 1.it's the only one offered in Nth America and 2.my last road trip was through areas that had some "4x4 access only" signs and I hate being restricted like that.
If you absolutely know where/how your Evoque will be driven then a 2WD may well be the answer - with better economy too! Smile
I think if your going to buy a 4x4 go 4 wheel drive. I doubt mine will every go off road.
For me 4wd is land rover pure and simple, there really is no need for a 2wd just to get better economy if the engineers had worked a bit harder. I have never fitted winters to any of my land rovers and they have always coped well with the snow. I still think the 4wd on standard tyres will beat the 2wd on winters. ( especially with grass/gravel/snow on the TR, which increases torque but dampens throttle response to control slip of the wheel )
To pick up fleet sales...and reduce average emissions across the range.
As I said if the engineers worked harder it is possible to have 4wd and low emissions, even if it is selectable.
(26-11-2011 09:08pm)J77 Wrote: [ -> ]I still think the 4wd on standard tyres will beat the 2wd on winters. ( especially with grass/gravel/snow on the TR, which increases torque but dampens throttle response to control slip of the wheel )

I think the person who made the comment was referring more to braking manoeuvres. We were on Hwy 1, snow falling with ice under in certain sections. On winter tires mounted on a sedan. There were 2-3 4 x 4 trucks in the ditches (happens every year). Maybe 4 x 4 drivers think they are invincible so driving technique must come into play.
I agree that a lot of 4wd drivers think that they are invincible, I drive for a living and see it every winter.
I spent the last 6 years in Norway and I saw 2wd cars with winter tyres coping with horrendous conditions that my then Xtrail locked on 4wd with m&s would have trouble coping with without winter tyres.
(26-11-2011 09:29pm)Evoqess Wrote: [ -> ]I think the person who made the comment was referring more to braking manoeuvres. We were on Hwy 1, snow falling with ice under in certain sections. On winter tires mounted on a sedan. There were 2-3 4 x 4 trucks in the ditches (happens every year). Maybe 4 x 4 drivers think they are invincible so driving technique must come into play.

+2 totally agree,over here in the last couple of winters I have seen plenty of 4x4 literally off road during the snow
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's