babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Auto or Manual Gearbox ??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
About to order, but really cant decide if I want the Auto SD4 or Manual SD4 ?? Auto is good for general driving in traffic etc... But worried might loose some of the feel and driving experience in an Automatic as oppose to manual gearbox ???Rolling Eyes
(23-11-2011 01:01pm)pnorm Wrote: [ -> ]About to order, but really cant decide if I want the Auto SD4 or Manual SD4 ?? Auto is good for general driving in traffic etc... But worried might loose some of the feel and driving experience in an Automatic as oppose to manual gearbox ???Rolling Eyes

Considering SD4 4WD and the money we're investing, ABSOLUTELY auto!
Remember the manual gearbox has the first gear ratio VERY LOW (Offroad): very unpleasent driving during City start-stop/roundabout.
Take your time to make a comparison between the two, before placing the order.

1happydream
I have driven both, having had both auto's and manuals in the past, I have chosen manual. I didnt notice the short 1st gear, although Im used to driving a manual FL2.
i think for off road driving prob auto is better (seems to tie in with the decent, traction systems better), but having driven both i did not like the auto, it seemed to never know what gear to be in, and kept changing gear with little input from me, my current car is a Auto and the Evoque gearbox was not as nice. There is another thread on here where some auto owners express their views ( search for Gearbox Issues). Drive both and see, i did not notice a short first gear on the manual either, seemed fine to me. I def like the idea of the auto and think it would suit the car, but when i drove it it wasn't good and know i would find it frustrating in the mid to long term.
In relation to the auto - the box had early problems I think, which have now been rectified.

It also learns your driving style.

I have an auto and there is no searching around for gears whatsoever. It's very good.
In my opinion the main decider is were you wil be using the car.
If your in town most of the time I would choose auto
Also start stops around hilly terain is much easier in the auto als due to the intelligent electronics that stop it form rolling back help. Does this work in manual?
I have no opinion on off-roading since I have not done much of that.

I would choose the manual only if I would do much highway and then only if I dont h ave much trafic kjams to deal with.

Hopes this helps
(23-11-2011 03:28pm)SW6RR Wrote: [ -> ]It also learns your driving style.

Hi there, how does it learn your driving style and what happens if there are two drivers? I'm on the second run through the manual (keeping the mind busy and keen during the very long build /delivery time) and I've not seen it in there?

Cheers
Hi
I went for the manual having tried both. My decision was based on emission figures as Im getting the car (one day) on contract hire through my business and its a far better option as far as tax is concerned.
Having said that I think I would have gone for the manual anyway as I like the feel of it and the short first gear would rarely be used as in normal conditions one would pull away in second.
(23-11-2011 04:35pm)Dimitrios Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there, how does it learn your driving style and what happens if there are two drivers? I'm on the second run through the manual (keeping the mind busy and keen during the very long build /delivery time) and I've not seen it in there?

Cheers

No idea how it does it - I am just regurgitating information. More knowledgeable posters may know.
No contest. It has to be the auto. 0 - 60 in 8 seconds. Manual in 9. something seconds!
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's