babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Steering problem update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
My Evoque is back at the dealer again with the same problem of stiff/twitchy steering, the first time they said it was cured by fitting a new sensor but it made no difference, it is only noticable when the car is warm and going above 50-60 mph the steering gets stiff and jerky to the point you need to use quite a lot of force to turn it and then once turned it does not "self center" you have to physically turn it back. It is quite alarming at speed. They have had it back for 4 days now and still no news.
Seeing as you told Land Rover from day 1 about the problem(your first post you said it happened with 20 mins of receiving the car), and if they can't fix it, you have the right to reject the car for a full refund or replacement(though I don't know what that entails as for wait times etc). Read recently in What Car magazine with another car( think Citroen) and the manufacturer gave the guy a temporary car while agreeing to replace the defective one.
Not much help, but it is a last resort. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
(21-11-2011 10:03am)woodhouse Wrote: [ -> ]My Evoque is back at the dealer again with the same problem of stiff/twitchy steering, the first time they said it was cured by fitting a new sensor but it made no difference, it is only noticable when the car is warm and going above 50-60 mph the steering gets stiff and jerky to the point you need to use quite a lot of force to turn it and then once turned it does not "self center" you have to physically turn it back. It is quite alarming at speed. They have had it back for 4 days now and still no news.

Woodhouse, thank you so much, I could have written this myself as it's exactly the same thing with mine. I advised my dealer on Wednesday when he phoned with a courtesy call. We agreed that I would drive home on Friday and see how it was. Phoned on Saturday to say it was still doing exactly as you describe and spoke to the Service Manager. He is going to check with LR and get back to me.

Drove to work this morning (I work away during the week - 130 miles ) and it was awful. I love the car but this steering issue is really putting me off even driving it. Will keep you posted and perhaps you could let me know how your getting on please.
IMHO, they should stop messing about and fit a new steering rack, £1183 + VAT outside warranty plus fitting.
Got to say that if it happens to me then I'll be following Craig_d1 advise and rejecting car. Wishing you good luck, and hope which ever route you take it all gets sorted to your satisfaction.
I took mine on its first long motorway cruise to the Lake District over the weekend.
After a period of prolonged driving on the motorway the steering does stiffen up significantly. It made the slight course corrections that are required rather heavy but this seemed to disappaer as soon I'd gone around the island at the top of the slip road.

It wasn't as noticeable on the return journey - is it possible that there is some code controlling the power assistance that learns in the same way the gearbox does?
Am I right in assuming the steering issue has been noticed in non Magneride equipped vehicles as well?
Mine is fine. Dynamic lux
@woodhouse,
Have you any news on the problem with your steering yet? I ask because my car is in being looked at so any info you have would be helpful
Hi Bluebear They are fitting a new steering rack today. They say that even when it was on the ramp with wheels off there was still tight spots when the steering wheel was turned. Fortunatly they had a rack in stock. Nick at Landrover CRC has been very helpful in chasing the dealer and making sure they are have all the info they need. I hope to get the car back tomorrow, will let you know the outcome.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Reference URL's