babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: USB ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If I leave my USB stick in the USB port will this be ok or will it drain battery etc?
My understanding is that it wouldn't - but an ipod or another mp3 player, phone etc would as the car continues to apply charge to the device's battery - not the case with a memory stick.
Ok thanks for that.
Does the usb slot 'power' when engine off ? Doesn't the cig lighter turn off with the engine?, and hence is the usb the same?
I haven't used the one labelled USB yet, just the ipod one - and that starts charging the ipod even when the ignition is off. Haven't used the cig lighter sockets yet so can't comment but seem to remember (I think Tim?) saying the one in the boot is always live so it could be used for a solar recharger?
So are we not sure about the USB thing then?
Err - I stand by my original answer to the original question - I'm pretty sure (I don't know how I could test it for you so can't be 100%) that a memory stick left in the USB port won't drain the battery while the ignition is off as there's no battery trying to charge. If you swap the memory stick for an ipod for example, that will charge (so yes the USB port is live I guess). Isn't there another thread from someone about video formats on memory sticks - they may have tried it or some experience to offer.
Neither device port will flatten the battery as neither remains live for any substantial period of time.

I believe that the reason that iPods/iPhones show that they are charging is because the act of opening the car provides a short burst of power to the ports but assuming that the ignition is not turned on this then times out.

The ICE system on Mrs RSKs new D4 is the same and we have had an iPod classic and a USB key plugged into this without interruption for four days now with no detrimental effect.
Ive had myUSB pen in the USB port for 10 days so far and no problems with a flat battery.

Pete
(01-11-2011 11:32pm)bell-auto-services Wrote: [ -> ]Ive had myUSB pen in the USB port for 10 daysso far and no problems with a flat battery.

Pete

Six weeks for me and no
battery issues
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's