babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: OK. How good is the Si4 vs the SD4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Guys

I STILL can't make my mind up over the version I'll order. I'm now thinking that for the cost of fuel differential for diesel over petrol, I might as well go for the Si4.

I plan to do circa 15k a year.

But I've not test driven the Si4 Dynamic, only a SD4 Prestige.

So whats the concensus on performance/ride/desirability??

Cheers
Kenny
There has been plenty of talk on this subject...........for me personally the Si4 was the way to go especially in Dynamic Coupe form.
Have a read of the 2x Evoque v 2x FFRR thread for some interesting views on Si4 vs SD4 (from owners of SD4s who had an unaccompanied test run in an Si4).

Personally I've test driven both (though the SD4 was accompanied while the Si4 wasn't), but I certainly found the Si4 to be a lot more lively and befitting the character of the Evoque (or at least the way I'd like it's character to be!). I'm not planning to do huge amounts of mileage either and will frequently be doing short trips so the economic benefits of the diesel won't be as pronounced, plus DPF regeneration could actually be an inconvenience from time to time if only doing short journeys.

I expect that come resale time the Si4 won't be as in demand as the SD4, though who knows for sure - it'll still be an Evoque! Smile I would definitely recommend getting a test drive in both so you can make an informed decision yourself though - I had to phone around a couple of dealers to find one who had an Si4 available, and it was a bit out of my way to get to, but it was definitely worth it.
I've never driven the diesel but can tell you why I chose the Si4 in case that's helpful - I don't do anything like enough enough miles to get the economy / financial benefit of the diesel and while I've owned a diesel car before and enjoyed the effortless torque, I thought the revvy turbo pretrol would feel nippier and the additional power would help with overtaking. I also recognise Tim and Spiderman's comments about how nimble it feels and think the lesser weight at the front probably helps. I wanted 4WD more for all weather capability than out and out offroading, so whether the diesel might be happier off-road (I don't know that it should be and am encouraged that the LR Experience guys run a petrol, but just in case that's a factor) again wasn't a huge consideration for me.

But I agree with Simon - best to drive both, the performance is really pretty similar so it comes down mainly to personal preference.
For the price difference which is nothing go for the Petrol.
If you are worried about fuel costs then the Si4 is probably going to lose out. Friend has one and struggles to get over 25mpg while the diesel SD4 is going to give 35-40mpg depending on how it's driven.
For pure driving experience the Si4 is probably slightly ahead and certainly some of the LR Experience Evoques are Si4 Prestige Autos and they cope perfectly well off road.
I had the si4 at the unleashed event, and followed up with an sd4 test drive.
yes the si4 was lively, but actually I was seriously impressed with the sd4.

It was an accompanied test drive, but the sales chap was happy for me to test it properly... I stuck the sd4 into sport, and did a second gear start, no issues, and it gave a slightly longer gear before any changes, it just kept pulling... it certainly cemented my thoughts to choose sd4 over the si4.
it's "only" a 40bhp increase on the si4 (at the moment), and there is bags more torque on the sd4.
(20-10-2011 08:16pm)RacingSnake Wrote: [ -> ]it's "only" a 40bhp increase on the si4 (at the moment), and there is bags more torque on the sd4.

Actually it's 50bhp and while that may sound insignificant it is a 26% increase.. also drove both in the last week, either way it's a fantastic drive - for me the Si4 edges it but then I do suffer from diesel fatigue, been 10 years since I've had a petrol.
(20-10-2011 08:30pm)berlin2011 Wrote: [ -> ]
(20-10-2011 08:16pm)RacingSnake Wrote: [ -> ]it's "only" a 40bhp increase on the si4 (at the moment), and there is bags more torque on the sd4.

Actually it's 50bhp and while that may sound insignificant it is a 26% increase.. also drove both in the last week, either way it's a fantastic drive - for me the Si4 edges it but then I do suffer from diesel fatigue, been 10 years since I've had a petrol.

I just hate the sound of diesel engines full stop - not sporty at all!
yeah, it's never going to sound like a throaty v8, but then neither is a 4-pot petrol Very Happy

As for the power difference, I think in real-world terms, the torque has a far greater effect than the (okay) 50bhp difference... which seemingly can be mapped up to anyway.

Having not had a diseasal for a while (actually in my old defender Smile ), and my last petrol engines being in my current shogun (daily drive) and my old ferrari, I just felt the difference was not great enough, to warrant the 30% drop in economy.
Now, if it was knocking on 300bhp, and 400Nm torque, it would be an entirely different question.

But having driven them both, thats how I got to my decision.

everyone is different, and to be honest, this is what you get on forums, a stack of opinions.

Get yourself down to the dealers to test them both and make your own mind up Smile
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's