babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Audio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The standard audio has 10 speakers plus a subwoofer. I'm assuming the 10 are split 3 per front door and 2 per rear door with the subwoofer in the boot. Can anyone confirm this?

The optional audio has 16 speakers plus a subwoofer. Does anyone know where the extra 6 speakers are placed?
I would like to know this as well, and seeing our dealer this weekend to have our Evoque specced up, I will ask him them.

It's our first RR so not familiar with their previous sound system arrangements but would it not be similar, or is this sound system only particular to the Evoque.
(06-04-2011 06:56am)Alex Wrote: [ -> ]not familiar with their previous sound system arrangements but would it not be similar, or is this sound system only particular to the Evoque.

The FL2 uses Alpine, while the RRS and FFRR use Harmon Kardon. The RRE uses Meridian.
I'm upgrading our choice to the 16 speaker sound system, found this review on the audio system -

http://www.whathifi.com/news/EXCLUSIVE-M...er-Evoque/
It doesn't say much, in fact one of the facts is wrong; 17 NOT 19 speakers.

Besides watts and speaker count, if the Audyssey processor is only available with the upgrade, then it should be worth the option price. I have an Alpine Audyssey processor in my system and it made a huge difference.
From what I've read, I think the 17 speaker system basically uses the same processor but adds surround sound and an Evoque-specific mapping?
Don't think it will be A LOT better than the 11 speaker system.
If the 11 speaker system is good then I agree; the Audyssey processor, extra watts, and six more speakers won't be worth the extra bucks.
I’m definitely going for the stereo upgrade, fed-up with poor sound imaging in previous cars. As stated in the article it has a centre speaker in the dash and rear centres to improve the overall stereo imaging. On the other hand I do not think the standard system will be poor just depends on your sound appetite.

On the upgrade it includes the addition of a centre channel(s) which is usually mounted in the dashboard (and in this case rear) playing a subtle mono sum of the left and right channels. The centre raises the sound stage by playing signals usually 350-500 and 3500 Hertz voice range. This improves the overall image so certain sounds (i.e. vocals) do not sound like they are coming just from either the left and/or right doors – thus improving the overall stereo image as we cannot sit exactly in the middle of the vehicle while driving. 

Generally most conventional sound systems in cars are side biased. So for instance while driving (depending on the speaker, and right hand/left hand drive) your left ear could be about just over a meter from a left speaker while your right ear could only be less than half a meter from a speaker, often creating an overall imbalanced listening experience (which can be compensated by adjusting the left/right stereo balance but then at a cost to say the passengers position).

It also looks like there are no doubt presets that have been created based on the acoustic environment you find yourself in, and or wishing to achieve.
Centre speakers don't improve stereo imaging in any way, they're just a requirement of surround systems (i.e. a requirement to get a Dolby badge). You'd still get a biased sound image with or without the centre speaker, simply because you're not sitting in the middle of the car.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's