babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Funny smell on a new Evoque
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, had my Evoque HSE Dynamic TD4 just over 2 weeks. Drive in commuting traffic only. Tonight it started to have an odd burning type smell. The only thing different was I had been messing with the heating and had the aircon button depressed whereas previously always been on manual ....not sure if that info is relevant. Inside the cabin had a horrible smell, maybe similiar to old style exhaust. The engine itself seemed very hot when I got home and lifted the bonnet so my question is could it just be the newness of things burning off or should I be a bit more concerned. Sorry if it's a daft question.
Probably just the DPF having a burn-off. You'll certainly notice it more if you are using it it commuting traffic.
(12-10-2016 06:54am)Steve D Wrote: [ -> ]Probably the DPF having a burn-off.

Thank you, I had read a little on that on other threads and wondered if such. Guess the heat of the engine threw me but then again I don't recall lifting my bonnet or sniffing the grille haha on previous cars I've owned. Presume the heat in the engine is just normal then ?
Could also be the 'newness' of the engine coating burning off. I had the same thing with a VW Golf diesel from new and it was that bad, it smelled like someone unsuccessfully trying to start a barbecue and using too much barbecue lighter fluid. It literally made my eyes water! After a few cycles it was hardly noticeable. Heat is normal as it is injecting raw diesel into the exhaust to burn it off. On the Golf, the cycle would continue after I had switched off and left the car and because of the excessive heat generated, the cooling fan would continue to run for about 15 mins.
Reference URL's