Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Xenon's to be only made available on Prestige Models in the future?
Acwats

RE: Xenon's to be only made available on Prestige Models in the future?

(15-11-2011 08:28am)ameer Wrote:  Audi uses LED for daytime running lights. It uses halogen and xenon for the nighttime driving lights.

Sorry ameer, on this occassion I know what I'm talking about.

From Audi's website....

http://www.audi.co.uk/new-cars/a8/a8/att...ights.html

The LED revolution
Unique to this class of car, the A8 is available with full-LED headlights.

These optional headlights give the car an unmistakeable appearance, during the day but especially in the dark. With a colour temperature of 5,500 Kelvin’s the light produced closely resembles daylight, vastly reducing strain on the eyes when driving at night.

The dipped beam is made up of ten single modules, forming an arc beneath the chrome contours of the ‘wing’. Directly beneath it, in a secondary arc are 22 white and 22 yellow LEDs create the daytime running lights and indicators. Above the ‘wing’ is the full beam, generated by two powerful, four-chip LEDs and a free-form reflection system. An assistance function switches between the dipped and full beam whilst further high-performance LEDs produce the motorway and cornering lights. A dedicated fan and heat sink keep each headlight at exactly the right temperature.

All of this whilst being vastly more efficient than traditional headlights.

MY16 HSE Dynamic Scotia Grey with Lunar/Ice Interior. 508's, Pano Roof, Privacy, Auto Tailgate, Heated s/wheel, spare
15-11-2011 02:46pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RacingSnake

In the defence of Ameer, "Audi has been using them for years" seems to indicate (to me) that you mean across the board rather than the 'flagship' luxury A8.
the A4 mainstream car for example still uses Xenons (as does the A3, A5 etc etc)

http://www.audi.co.uk/new-cars/a4/a4-sal...tures.html

Bright lights
Slimline, Xenon headlights not only look stunning, they project a distinctive blue-white brightness that’s twice as powerful as traditional halogen bulbs. They make driving in poor weather or at night less tiring and altogether safer.
(This post was last modified: 15-11-2011 02:51pm by RacingSnake.)
15-11-2011 02:51pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Acwats

(15-11-2011 02:51pm)RacingSnake Wrote:  In the defence of Ameer, "Audi has been using them for years" seems to indicate (to me) that you mean across the board rather than the 'flagship' luxury A8.
the A4 mainstream car for example still uses Xenons (as does the A3, A5 etc etc)

Sorry ameer - didn't mean to sound hostile or defensive, meant it as a tongue in cheek comment about me!

Racingsnake -they are now available on the A6 - I'll bet LR are working on this. judging by the take up of Xenons there does appear to be a significant market for selling headlights.

MY16 HSE Dynamic Scotia Grey with Lunar/Ice Interior. 508's, Pano Roof, Privacy, Auto Tailgate, Heated s/wheel, spare
(This post was last modified: 15-11-2011 03:02pm by Acwats.)
15-11-2011 02:56pm
Straydox

(15-11-2011 02:51pm)RacingSnake Wrote:  In the defence of Ameer, "Audi has been using them for years" seems to indicate (to me) that you mean across the board rather than the 'flagship' luxury A8.

Bright lights
Slimline, Xenon headlights not only look stunning, they project a distinctive blue-white brightness that’s twice as powerful as traditional halogen bulbs. They make driving in poor weather or at night less tiring and altogether safer.

To be fair the R8 got LED lights before the A8 and they are also an option on the humble Toyota Prius too.
15-11-2011 02:58pm
RacingSnake

Ok, fair point (not mainstream really though is it Very Happy )
15-11-2011 02:59pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
oop north

You can have led headlights on A6 now I believe. Ridiculous price, mind, somewhere above £2k I think!
15-11-2011 05:08pm