Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Winter tires and rust protection?!
AAA86

We have pretty bad winters here in Canada, so i was wondering what kind of winter tires should i be looking for! I am picking the car up tomorrow and am not sure of the sizes. (Wheel and tire). If any one can help that would be great!
Another note is Rust protection? Any idea whats the best solution for that?! Dealer is not offering much Sad thank you all for your help!
06-12-2013 12:48pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: Winter tires and rust protection?!

The tyre sizes are mentioned numerous times so a little searching should find you that info, regarding rust do you mean underbody protection? Someone has Waxoyl'd theres surely those sorts of treatments would be more common if this is a general problem.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
07-12-2013 12:18am
BFGEvoqueMan

(06-12-2013 12:48pm)AAA86 Wrote:  We have pretty bad winters here in Canada, so i was wondering what kind of winter tires should i be looking for! I am picking the car up tomorrow and am not sure of the sizes. (Wheel and tire). If any one can help that would be great!
Another note is Rust protection? Any idea whats the best solution for that?! Dealer is not offering much Sad thank you all for your help!

I am sure that if you start applying additional wax protection then LR would fail to honour any warranty claim if anything did rustQuestion

WRT winter tyres, your LR garage will tell you the approved tyre sizes and combo's but the smallest rim is 17" x 7J, tyres size is as per the standard 17".

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
07-12-2013 08:34am
Stadt Panzer

My winter tyres are on 18" rims and I have Pirelli ice & snow tyres fitted they work a treat.

Somewhere in the North Sea.
07-12-2013 08:40am
ChuckieB

I haven't yet purchased a set as I still have a still hardly used set of 19" pirellis on the set of rims that I picked up on the forum before last winter. That kept me going absolutely fine but my 19" contis (difficult to clean) style 5's will need replacing next year. I don' t have the size dilemma as my sets are both 19's, but the question sticks in my mind what are the benefits of running smaller rims, i.e. 19's vs 20 really ( other than perhaps cost)?

We should all continue to remind ourselves that in ice you are in the lap of the gods. In the uk we should be thinking more on cold (sub 7 degrees) damp weather performance as where we get the most overall benefits. Isn't 19 vs 20 or 17 vs 18 debate relatively irrelevant with benefits being perhaps marginal at best?

Also we are told snow sticks to snow so why should you be materially disadvantaged running a 20? Does it have a lesser pattern?

This debate will roll on as from the tyre tests I have seen, they are always short of true direct comparison on different rim sizes being run on the same vehicle.

---------------------------------
Firenze SD4 Prestige Man Eb/Iv AD Keyless Powered Tailgate Roof Rails
Delivered 17/2/2012!

Other '05 Cliosport 182 FF
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2013 01:20pm by ChuckieB.)
07-12-2013 01:19pm
BFGEvoqueMan

The perceived wisdom in Germany is that the wheel should be as narrow as possible as this provides the least resistance against snow on the road (in extremis think about those super narrow wheels that rally cars use on ice and snow). On the RRE it doesn't make any difference as the 17", 18", 19" and 20" wheels are all the same width (7.5" or 8" [can't quite remember of the top of my head]), so having 17" is just a way of getting away with cheaper tyres.

In terms of the actual rubber, the winters have a more block pattern, with each block having lots of grooves the push into and grip the snow and discourage snow build up. Generally on summer tyres the patterns generally is more like long grooves and whilst excellent at expelling water, snow gets into these grooves and essentially makes them slicks (and hence the TV pictures of wallies pushing their cars on surface conditions that are perfectly driveable here in Germany becasue people have to equip their cars with winters by law).

On my Merc SLK I normally have 8" at the front and 9" on the back (both 17") but for my winters am on 6"x 16". Trust this helpsQuestionQuestion

- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2013 03:33pm by BFGEvoqueMan.)
07-12-2013 03:29pm
Jeroma

(07-12-2013 08:34am)BFGEvoqueMan Wrote:  I am sure that if you start applying additional wax protection then LR would fail to honour any warranty claim if anything did rustQuestion

WRT winter tyres, your LR garage will tell you the approved tyre sizes and combo's but the smallest rim is 17" x 7J, tyres size is as per the standard 17".

It seems that 17 inch wheels with high profile tyres are the only ones accepting snow chains. Wide tyres are a crime to drive in serious snow, don't ask me how I know.
Many winter sport regions require snow chains in certain meteorological conditions and there is no discussion possible whatever your snow tyres look like, or how good the profile is.
And take some training fitting them before you hit 10 inches of snow during the night

Evoque MY2014 ED4 Pure Tech in Aintree Green - Almond/Expresso, priv. glass, rear camera etc...
other cars in house: Renault Megane CC
1960 Triumph TR3A in BRG - on Webers
1970 Triumph TR6PI in jasmine on EFI
07-12-2013 11:54pm
ChuckieB

(07-12-2013 03:29pm)BFGEvoqueMan Wrote:  In terms of the actual rubber, the winters have a more block pattern, with each block having lots of grooves the push into and grip the snow and discourage snow build up.

Well there is suggestion on one winter tyre test I saw was that the extra grooves and blocks promote the build up of snow and that atually aids traction as the snow collecting in the grooves adheres to the snow on the road surface? Just like when rolling snow to make a snowman was how they put it. Certainy I can see some logic there. But as we all know, in the UK we get the wrong type of snow so the logic probably breaks down!

---------------------------------
Firenze SD4 Prestige Man Eb/Iv AD Keyless Powered Tailgate Roof Rails
Delivered 17/2/2012!

Other '05 Cliosport 182 FF
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2013 12:40am by ChuckieB.)
08-12-2013 12:38am
BFGEvoqueMan

Chuckie,

You could be right, there is no allowing for a sharp frost or some leafs on the road that can potentially lead to "travel chaos" LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

08-12-2013 10:26am
Jeroma

(08-12-2013 12:38am)ChuckieB Wrote:  Well there is suggestion on one winter tyre test I saw was that the extra grooves and blocks promote the build up of snow and that atually aids traction as the snow collecting in the grooves adheres to the snow on the road surface? Just like when rolling snow to make a snowman was how they put it. Certainy I can see some logic there. But as we all know, in the UK we get the wrong type of snow so the logic probably breaks down!

The most important feature of winter tyres are the softer rubber compound to counter the cold road surface. For ice they are fitted with very small cuts. Soft rubber of cause decreases life on dry surface

My car was fitted with Pirelli M&S what's a kind of hybrid tyre

Evoque MY2014 ED4 Pure Tech in Aintree Green - Almond/Expresso, priv. glass, rear camera etc...
other cars in house: Renault Megane CC
1960 Triumph TR3A in BRG - on Webers
1970 Triumph TR6PI in jasmine on EFI
08-12-2013 08:15pm